Text Size

Post Questions about the "book" CNC Plans here

Official support for products purchased from the BuildYourTools.com and BuildYourCNC.com sites, and the book "Build Your Own CNC Machine (Technology in Action)" by Patrick Hood-Daniel and James Floyd Kelly.

Re: Post Questions about the "book" CNC Plans here

Postby bajaru » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:18 am

I don't mean to get off topic here... but... I had no idea what a rose engine was until I looked up it after reading your post. I was intrigued and I found an article on how to make one. I can imagine using the CNC machine to make parts and rosettes for this thing... My goodness! I did not need another project, but this looks too cool to pass up.

Here's the article:
http://www.ornamentalturners.org/assets/content/RoseEngine.pdf

-Brian
bajaru

CNC Machine: BlackToe v2 4x8

Postby maineshops » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:40 pm

i intend to use the cnc to make the rosettes. but am having so much to learn on the cnc i'm lagging behind.. the rose engine is a fun machine to work with. dan
maineshops

CNC Machine: "Book" Machine

Postby hexus179 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:13 pm

After a hiatus due to some issues I'm going to jump back into this. I actually built a rose engine awhile back and intend to use the CNC to cut rosettes as well. My idea for doing the sides of bowls like I mentioned awhile back was going to be more like actual pictures and what not. I've pretty much scrapped that idea, at least for now and just want to get the actual machine built so I can see more what I'd need, and to use it to cut out parts of course. :)
I've moved around some equipment in my shop to make room for this, but I'm confused on something. When I look at the cut sheet at the very beginning it shows pictures of the finished dimensions. For the width the first picture shows 2' 5 11/16" and the second shows 3' 6 7/16". I'm very limited on space, and I'd like to build a bench for this to sit on. So, does anyone know what the actual width is?
Length looks like 4'4" and height 2' 3/8" (MDF dimensions minus motors, etc...), I'm just confused why there's a discrepancy on the width.
Thanks!
hexus179

I've compiled a parts/tools list from The Book

Postby bneedhamia » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:30 am

As part of my journey to build the CNC machine in the book, I've compiled a list of parts and tools described in the book, that people might find useful. As I build the machine I will be checking/correcting the list. For each part I've listed the page(s) in the book that describe it, so that anyone can cross-check my collected list.

https://github.com/bneedhamia/BuildYourOwnCNC contains both the parts list and my (brief) day-to-day project diary so far.
bneedhamia

Postby marineru » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:34 am

Hello,

I read the book and i have a question. Because we are in 2017, and I have a laptop, I want to use the electronics from this book, but I want to connect the CNC to laptop with usb. Is there a breakout board with usb compatible with these stepper motor and stteper motor driver?
marineru

Postby marineru » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:36 pm

I read all the posts and i seen that are such breakout board with usb. Maybe is here someone who may tell me some models. I'm new in this domain...
Thanx
marineru

Postby The Garage Father » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:23 am

If you want to use USB then your going to have to use Mach3. I use LinuxCNC and an old PC with a parallel port since it does not support USB. But a lot of people use the UC100 and you get the best of both worlds. All the wiring in the book stays the same even the parallel port breakout board. The only difference is the UC100 plugs into the breakout boards parallel port and then you use a USB cable from the UC100 to your laptop. http://cncdrive.com/UC100.html Check it out and see what you think. They even offer a Mach3 type program called UCCNC, hope this helps you out.
The Garage Father

Previous

Return to Product Support (Build Your Tools / Build Your CNC)