Text Size

Blacktooth power supply acting wonky

Official support for products purchased from the BuildYourTools.com and BuildYourCNC.com sites, and the book "Build Your Own CNC Machine (Technology in Action)" by Patrick Hood-Daniel and James Floyd Kelly.

Blacktooth power supply acting wonky

Postby murphyslawyer » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:50 pm

I built the Blacktooth cutter and made several things with it sucessfully. After just 3 hours on the new power supply, and in the middle of a cut, the laser seemed to stop working. It seemed like either the power supply or laser tube had quit while the motion electronics kept on moving as normal. After much troubleshooting, I found out that the power supply wasn't actually dead, it had just dropped to putting out almost no power. What is even more confusing, I found out that the power supply responded very strangely to the setting of the potentiometer. What the power supply is doing is only putting out a maximum of 4 Mv, instead of the normal maximum of ~20Mv. What is the really strange part is that the maximum output is achieved when the potentiometer is at half the travel, i.e. in the middle of the range. The potentiometer had previously gone from 0 power at counter-clock wise stop to ~20 Mv at full clockwise stop. Now the it is at 0 power at both ends of the range, and the max 4Mv is in the middle of travel. So my first instinct is "OK, the pot is bad, get a new one." I replaced the pot with a 5O ohm trimmer pot from Radio Crap, and the power supply does the same thing with the new pot!!! The power supply is the one sold on the website (https://www.buildyourcnc.com/item/Laser ... ly-CO2-40W)

Can anybody suggest any tests or potential fixes before I shell out for another power supply?
murphyslawyer

CNC Machine: BlackTooth

Re: Blacktooth power supply acting wonky

Postby zt67638 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:12 am

Any update on this? I know it was about four months ago..

Reason being , i am now dealing with some issues as well. Though I've been running my BT laser frequently ,for about 2 years. I recently swapped out the tube for better performance and now, after moments of normal cutting, to not being able to get the laser to fire at all (really seems like it's depending on the weather or something) I'm wondering if the power supply is shot as well? Is that something that is common?

Thanks
zt67638

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby 3d0g » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:34 am

Dunno if y'all are still chasing these gremlins, but 1st thing is to make sure all the grounds are rock-solid. The stock power supply is bare-bones Chinese crap. Mine literally exploded one day (while the laser was NOT running). Sent circuit shrapnel throughout my shop. Lots of better options out there. I picked up a 60W one off Amazon that has worked flawlessly for the past couple years now.
3d0g

CNC Machine: BlackTooth

Postby ShenValleyCNC » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:22 am

You might seek out an electronics guru to verify the supply is ok.
It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law
Hofstadter's Law
ShenValleyCNC

CNC Machine: Custom

Postby kevinl » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:11 pm

how are you checking the high voltages out of the power supply, not everone has the equipment to check 25K volts on a bench or at home.. wont not want or not crazy about having 25K voltages open circuit but that would be a start to testing the power supply, the next would be to create a load equal to the laser and would not let 25kv arc around or through the load.
kevinl

CNC Machine: Custom

Return to Product Support (Build Your Tools / Build Your CNC)