Text Size

Question on controlling Laser Strength/Intensity GreenBull

Question on controlling Laser Strength/Intensity GreenBull

Postby Borneoben » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:09 pm

Hi Guys

Im new here so be gentle...

I was lucky enough to visit the BYCNC facility in Katy Houston a couple days ago as i am serioulsy considering buying a GreenBull with Laser/Spindle Combo.

One thing that i noticed and its only just dawned on me is that the laser intensity or strength is controlled manually by a pot on the side of the machine.

Is there any way to integrate the control of the laser intensity via the Mach3 software?

I have applications where i would like to cut and engrave in the same operation so varying the laser strength within one cutting file is quite important to me.
For this i would need to be able to set the laser strength in the g code somehow.

If any one can shed some light on this or has a good work around i would be very grateful.

many thanks

Ben

I would also like to add that i was impressed with the staff at BYCNC they were all very helpful and very enthusiastic. They answered all my questions openly and honestly.
It gives me the confidence to buy from them.

Cheers
Borneoben

CNC Machine: None

Re: Question on controlling Laser Strength/Intensity GreenBu

Postby 3d0g » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:06 pm

Most laser power supplies require a 20kHz (minimum) PWM input for variable power. LinuxCNC can do this but it's beyond Mach3's ability. There's plenty of folk that have used Mach3 to drive a small PIC or Atmel microcontroller to generate the PWM signal, however.
3d0g

CNC Machine: BlackTooth

Return to CAD/CAM/Control Software