Text Size

Motion Electronics: Commerical or DIY?

Motion Electronics: Commerical or DIY?

Postby servant74 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:41 am

If budget isn't an issue, it is always nice to use Gecko's. Their 540 is pretty compact and flexible (If I remember the model right).

The steppers for 3D printing don't have to be as robust as for CNC work of the same size. So NEMA17 size motors are less expensive than NEMA23's normally and can use lower power drivers and power supply.

Again I tend to look back at the [url]RepRap.org[/url] to see what they are doing. (At one time they were uber cost conscious, but seem to have become less so since the obvious commercial viability especially in the hobby/maker areas.

There are DIY stepper drivers out there, kits like [url]hobbycnc.com[/url] sells, and of course commercial like gecko drivers at [url]geckodrive.com[/url]
If at first you don't succeed, think about scratching parachute jumping off your bucket list.
servant74

CNC Machine: None

Re: Motion Electronics: Commerical or DIY?

Postby bajaru » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:19 pm

I definitely thought of the DIY route. The thing which kept me in the "already built" camp was that if I built the driver and it didn't work, my ability to test it and figure out where the problem lies would be quite limited. In the end, I didn't want to get stuck with a non-working driver and not have the means to test and fix it.

That's just my opinion. If you're an EE ("real" or home grown), this obviously would not be an issue. I'm not, so it is.

-Brian
bajaru

CNC Machine: BlackToe v2 4x8

Re: Motion Electronics: Commerical or DIY?

Postby pconti31 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:28 pm

I have the gecko g540 on my CNC router and it works great. It would however be a very bad idea for 3D printing. There is almost no software support for standard CNC controllers in the hobby 3D printer world.
All of the software is developed for the Atmel ATmega micro controllers. Makerbot, reprap , reprap Ramps plugs into an Arduino MEGA board, gen6, gen7 and Sanguinololu are all Atmel Atmega based chip sets. Only one person has documented a system of scripts and hardware using standard CNC controllers that only mostly work with no guarantee they will work in the future.

You can get the Atmel Atmega based controllers as kits or fully built and tested. I got my Sanguinololu as a kit for $50. I have seen reprap Ramps with a Arduino MEGA board systems fully built and tested for $320, while Makerbot systems go for even more.

Paul C--
-- Paul
pconti31

CNC Machine: "Book" Machine

Return to Motion Electronics for 3D Printing