Text Size

Build Your CNC Electronics

Build Your CNC Electronics

Postby Beermkr » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:49 am

Are the drivers that come with the electronics kit unipolar or bipolar and are they microstepping?

R/
Mike Pensinger
Chief Brewer, Holston River Brewing Company
Bristol, TN
Beermkr

CNC Machine: Custom

Re: Build Your CNC Electronics

Postby PHoodDaniel » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:48 pm

The drivers and bipolar and can be microstepped up to 1/8.

I added a few more points to your private message, here they are to benefit others.

The driver can permit a draw of up to 2.5 amps with the ability to microstep up to 1/8. The main board is essentially a shield and breakout for the other components. The Extruder Controller can provide 12volts to three peripherals (heater, fan, etc.). I removed the DC motor chip reduce the expense a bit and since the stepper driven extruder is much better anyway. All of the electronics are powered by the USB, and an external 12v supply (laptop supply) so no more big bulky PC PSU.

Update: I am in development on a new breakout board that the 2.5 amp drivers will be ably to plug into directly for easy connection.
PHoodDaniel

Re: Build Your CNC Electronics

Postby Beermkr » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:53 am

Thanks!

I just got my "Printing in Plastic" book but was also interested as a possible lower cost option for bipolar drivers on a normal CNC machine. Unfortunately the motors (425 oz/in Kellings) want 2.8 amps. and I expext that your voltage is limited to 12V as designed?

R/
Mike Pensinger
Chief Brewer, Holston River Brewing Company
Bristol, TN
Beermkr

CNC Machine: Custom

Return to Motion Electronics for 3D Printing