Text Size

is 3 in 1 3Dprinter worth?

Official support for BuildYourTools 3D Printers, and the book "Printing in Plastic: Build Your Own 3D Printer (Technology in Action)" by Patrick Hood-Daniel and James Floyd Kelly.

is 3 in 1 3Dprinter worth?

Postby cowy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:35 am

Hey guys i recently attracted to Mooz http://kck.st/2lcSp5h3D printer from kickstarter but my friends said that it is very risky to buy it from Kickstarter. personally, i think its cheaper to buy it from them. Do you guys have any experience with the crowdfunded 3d print? Do you think this Mooz 3d print spec is good enough for newbie?
cowy

CNC Machine: None

Re: is 3 in 1 3Dprinter worth?

Postby Awesomeness » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:38 pm

I wouldn't buy it.

1. Crowdfunding is very risky, especially for complex and expensive items like this. Look up statistics on how many of them fail.

2. 3D printing + milling all in one machine is a bad idea. 3D printing needs to be a clean process, and milling makes a huge mess, so the two will not play nicely. Also, 3D printing experiences very little force so the mechanisms are very light weight, but milling is force intensive and requires much stronger and more rigid components - so a milling machine is significant overkill for a printer.

3. These prices are way too cheap to do either well. 3D printers are cheaper than mills because of the size and weight of strong components in a mill, and yet these prices are even cheap by 3D printer standards. Something is wrong with that equation, and either these people don't know what they're doing, or are overly optimistic, or you're going to get very poor results and it won't work well. (My guess is that they will never even be able to fulfill the orders.)
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Return to Product Support (3D Printing)