Text Size

We're makin' t-shirts!! (Perfect excuse for a contest!)

We're makin' t-shirts!! (Perfect excuse for a contest!)

Postby PHoodDaniel » Mon May 16, 2011 2:35 am

For a while, I have been hankering for t-shirts for my employees and for other interested folks, but... I am having writer's block on the "witty" remark that will display on the front, or back of the t-shirt. So... here's the thought. A contest for the most witty saying on the t-shirt. The winner will be judged by popular vote, using the polling functionality on this forum. Add your "witty" remark on this thread. I will then list them on a new thread and you-all can vote. The winner will get, of course, a free t-shirt.

The deadline for the submissions (when I create the list of remarks for polling) will be May 22nd. This date should provide enough time for the bulk of the regular members to see this announcement.

Other information that will be on the t-shirt will be the new logos of buildyourcnc.com and/or buildyourtools.com.

The submission is not limited to just the witty remark, but can include the design of the entire t-shirt. Also, if you have ever been in a t-shirt creation contest before, specify that on your post. I'd like to hear about it. We used to have these in undergrad Architecture.
PHoodDaniel

Re: We're makin' t-shirts!! (Perfect excuse for a contest!)

Postby MachiningBob » Mon May 16, 2011 3:11 pm

I hate and love these contests at the same time. It's much easier when you know your subject company, people "the Hood"...because sometimes it feels the boundaries are limitless.

What is a Patrick Hood Daniel? Or a buildyourcnc/tools?

Words I think of...and based on history it should be 6 - 8 of them...

- Proprietors of the ultimate man cave power tool.

- Arms dealers for the new industrial revolution.

-----

Too long...

"You know what they say about guys with big feet? They get chicks." ( an obvious and trite play on words regarding big foot, and the blue chick machine)

-----

Or make it like a concert t-shirt:

"CNC machine world ownage tour"

And list locations of where your machines or parts have been sold.

-----

Regardless, they should be sold in confederate grey and union blue and like the civil war...destiny will decide which side/color you are on.
Book Machine / BobCAD-CAM v24 / EMC2
3 Axis Keling 425 oz-in on 4042D drivers
CNC4PC C35 BoB
MachiningBob

CNC Machine: "Book" Machine

Postby PHoodDaniel » Mon May 16, 2011 4:00 pm

Beautiful!!

The buildyourtools would probably be most disconnected from me and more about the members here. I'm trying for the buildyourcnc.com to be more about the machines and a cottage industry rather that me, as well. So, I would say, forget Patrick Hood-Daniel, and keep to the tools and fabrication.

Anyway, most companies start from a single person and go on to serve the public. The founders are generally forgotten (with the exception of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs), but I would not even attempt to compare.

I also had mixed feelings regarding the contest, but you never know what will happen if you don't try.
PHoodDaniel

Postby MachiningBob » Mon May 16, 2011 6:04 pm

"Anyway, most companies start from a single person and go on to serve the public. The founders are generally forgotten (with the exception of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs), but I would not even attempt to compare."

Don't sell yourself short just yet. Check out the book "Built to Last: Successful habits of visionary companies" at your local library. You don't need to be a "celebrity CEO" to make a huge impact. If you want the cliff notes of the book...it comes down to...be a clock builder and not a time teller. Make a clock (company) that tells time how you want it to be told. If your dreams for this industry are a metropolis of cottages, then facilitate that, build around that. You know?

This company/group? We get to work in our guest bathroom if we have to in a flurry of sawdust. (I'd like to make this another entry) This company? The living room floor is an assembly and staging area. This company? We make machines, to make ourselves better machines. This company? Works together with others, because we are stronger in a rich marketplace of ideas than all alone.

Or whatever it is you see for the company. This industry, hobby, industrial revolution 2.0 is rapidly approaching a tipping point. Don't let some business major voice insider your brain run off with it...just yet. Own your micro-celebrity-ness no matter how personally uncomfortable that may be. You're doing a good thing here. "Empowering everyday people like me...to be able to brag to a friend late one night...this is probably the coolest machine I've ever owned. Ever. And I built it from books, videos, and websites."

But in the end (or perhaps during) it'll be more about do you see yourself as a Linus Torvalds (captain and celebrity coder of Linux) or do you see yourself as perhaps a Richard M Stallman...frustrated but undisputed genius behind the Copyleft license that made it all possible. I'd say be a little bit of both...and maybe a dash of Bob Young (you know when you cash out?)...I think you'll be happier with millions in the bank.
CNC4PC C35 BoB
MachiningBob

Postby PHoodDaniel » Tue May 17, 2011 3:41 pm

As long as I am able to design, I'm happy.

My wife wouldn't mind the millions, though.

All right, everyone... Let get some catchy phrases here!!
PHoodDaniel

Postby ap_sand » Tue May 17, 2011 6:25 pm

"I didn't just build it, I built the tools too!"

or

"Anyone can build it, but can they build the tools?"

Andrew
ap_sand

Postby ap_sand » Tue May 17, 2011 6:27 pm

Or...

"Guys build stuff. Real men build tools"
ap_sand

Postby MachiningBob » Tue May 17, 2011 6:41 pm

ap_sand wrote:Or...

"Guys build stuff. Real men build tools"

I like that one.

What about this one... Parens are in a subtype/smaller font.

ASK ME ABOUT MY 60 INCHES (per minute)
CNC4PC C35 BoB
MachiningBob

Postby PHoodDaniel » Tue May 17, 2011 6:47 pm

OMG!! These are all golden!!

Here's my attempt:
"I get dirty in my garage!"
PHoodDaniel

Postby MachiningBob » Tue May 17, 2011 6:49 pm

The Machinist Prayer

This is my machine. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without me my machine is useless. Without my machine I am useless...
CNC4PC C35 BoB
MachiningBob

Next

Return to News & Announcements