Text Size

Makin Signs from Foam

Re: Makin Signs from Foam

Postby drhominidae » Thu May 31, 2012 3:42 pm

Keith,

If you are still interested, I came across this product in an article I read recently which I kept the information for. It is a called Styrospray 1000 from Industrial Polymers (http://www.industrialpolymers.com). The product is a two-part liquid plastic that can be brushed on as well as sprayed. The author stated that he used builder's grade styrofoam that was cut with a cnc machine. After some minor prep. work such as hole filling and light sanding, he brushed on the product and then painted it. He also stated that he lost some of the very fine detail as one might expect. Not certain about the durability in the outdoor environment, but I do recall that the project was a free-standing, life size statue of a comic book character which looked fantastic considering what it was made from.

Hope this helps!
drhominidae

CNC Machine: None

Postby keith » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:47 am

Thanks drhominidae.

and thanks to everyone.

I have managed to get my hands on a small piece of what looks like a dense foam here in the UK. It is part of a insulating panel made by a company called KingSpan. When I get a moment I will try cutting it on the CNC and I will of course post the results.
The Titanic was built by professionals; the Ark was built by Amateurs..........
keith

CNC Machine: BlackToe v2 4x8

Postby seelesturm » Thu May 09, 2013 3:37 am

Hey Keith,

Looks like I am quite late to this conversation, however if you still have any questions I may be able to help. I do a lot of foam work for a construction company.

Crownmold and letters are all 2lb styrofoam.

Halo backlighting with LEDs, only had the top characters wired in at the end of the day this picture was taken.

This is how I make my foam crownmolding.

Fitting crownmold onto a pre-fabricated wall.

Here is the key behind it all, a dual component proportioner. I shoot a polyurea mixture out of the nozzle at about 154 degrees farenheit, any hotter and I start to disfigure the foam.

Notice the buildup of chemicals on the boots...
seelesturm

CNC Machine: Custom

Postby keith » Thu May 09, 2013 9:26 am

Thanks seelesturm; now I need to find a supplier of a polyurea mixture and the relevant spraying equipemet. That might be a lot easier then trying to get foaminto the UK
The Titanic was built by professionals; the Ark was built by Amateurs..........
keith

CNC Machine: BlackToe v2 4x8

Previous

Return to Tutorials