Text Size

V-carving Images

Re: V-carving Images

Postby mikeusnret » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:19 am

nikki1492 wrote:"I was attempting to do this image at 0.015 (1/64) deep in the wood"

Hey Mike,
1/64 inch is 0.0625.

At first I thought it might be a typo but I see that's the max depth you set in PhotoVCarve.

Could this be your problem?

That Max Carving Depth of 0.015 that is set in PVC is what I told the program how deep the maximum cut should be, so it can vary between 0 to .015

And ummm no... 1/64th is 0.015625

1/6th is 0.0625
mikeusnret

Postby nikki1492 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:47 am

Ooops..... my first post and I mess it up.

Sorry
nikki1492

Postby philipw » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:13 am

mikeusnret wrote:1/6th is 0.0625

Ha, Well.... not quite, though I know it was a typo... 1/16" = .0625", not 1/6th.

;)
philipw

CNC Machine: "Book" Machine

Postby nikki1492 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:47 am

Dang.... I'm really off to a grand start. Wait till I start asking questions. <grin>
nikki1492

Postby mikeusnret » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:00 am

philipw wrote:
mikeusnret wrote:1/6th is 0.0625

Ha, Well.... not quite, though I know it was a typo... 1/16" = .0625", not 1/6th.

;)

eeek..definitely a typo there..missed the additional 1 in there.

And to reply to Nikki in regards to questions still to come... don't worry, I'm still just a rookie at this CNC stuff as well :D
mikeusnret

Postby keith » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:08 am

Hi Awesomeness, have i missed it or is the "Cam" section not up yet? Thanks,
The Titanic was built by professionals; the Ark was built by Amateurs..........
keith

CNC Machine: BlackToe v2 4x8

Postby Awesomeness » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:40 am

If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby tjskbyc » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:30 am

In case anyone is still following this post:

I have and use all the software previously mentioned in this post. They all work well for what they are designed for, you just need to know what materials to use, how to prep them, and the correct settings for your machine.
Photo V-Carve is the best and easiest to use. Since the original poster has purchased this software, I will comment using that software.

If cutting photo images in wood, using 60 degree V-bit:
Depth = .05"
Spacing = 120

Shallower than .05 will lose definition during sanding. Narrower line spacing will cause "blow-out", but wider is okay for larger images.

Cutting speeds are determined by the capabilities of your machine. Accuracy should not be any different within your machines speed range. Carbide router bits can easily cut wood at 100s of inches per minute, so the bit is not an issue, just make sure it is not too dull.

To cut 3D image:
This gets a bit trickier, but can be done with a bit of practice.
You will need to experiment, but the 2 main points to remember are:
1 - Use a ball nose or round tip bit. The smaller the bit, the greater the detail, but the more time it will take to cut. Also, the smaller the picture, the smaller the bit, and vise-verse.
2 - MANUALLY change the "Line Spacing" slider (type it in the box.) Using a 1/16" ball nose bit on a 5x10 image, type in 20 for the line spacing for a decent effect. As low as 5 for the line spacing will result in an almost perfectly smooth finish, but, of course, will take 4 times as long as 20.

Also, to save time in a 3D cut, make a "Rough" cut with a larger bit to remove most of the wood, then a final cut with the smaller bit.

Material prep:
For photo carving, DO NOT use open grain woods. This means woods like Oak and Walnut. Softer woods, such as poplar, bass, and pine, suffer from "blow-out" that can ruin the final image. Hardwoods, such as maple, alder, ash, and any other light colored hardwood, is preferred. Plywood, no matter what the quality, sucks for this type of work!
Sand the surface to at least 100 grit. Spray a couple of coats of a sanding sealer or other low penetration clear finish.
Cut your image.
Using spray paint (I prefer flat finish paints - easier to work with with less drying time) spray the cut image, using light coats, until there are no more signs of bare wood in the cuts. Don't spray more than you absolutely need because you are now going to sand down to the bare wood. If you put on too much paint, you will run into too many problems to describe in this post, and too much sanding will damage the image. It is also best to let the paint fully dry over 24hrs.

You should now have a nice image that is ready to be finished.

For 3D cutting, any wood is acceptable, as long as you understand the properties of the wood and the final product you want to achieve. This entails a lot of experimenting and there's no shortcut to learning.

To wrap this up, there is no easy answer. You need to follow a few basic rules, then find what settings work for your machine. I good friend of mine who specializes in hand made furniture, and is a true artist, will tell you that it is all in the finish. We all have machines that use the same software, but it's your personal style and the finish techniques that separate you from everyone else.
tjskbyc

CNC Machine: RedFrog

Postby mbr72cnc » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:33 am

I have been using PhotoVcarve for a few years now have enjoyed using it. Previous post sums it all up, just play and practice (basically make firewood for a few tries) Once you get the feel you can make beautiful carvings. The size of bit I like to use is from bits&bits dot com. 50deg engraving 1/8inch shank. Usually cut at a 33 degree angle at feed rate of 70ipm. But that can change from wood to wood - bit to bit - image to image.

BTW - I am new to this forum I am usually on the Vectrics forum but feel this is a useful forum with alot of knowledge. I have been involves on way or another in cnc machining since the late 70's. I have built 5 different machines all growing in size and speed/power. I do plan on building one of the Blacktoe / foot machines. Like the way they are put together (great engineering)

Thanks for listening
Mike
Happy Cutting,
Mike
mbr72cnc

CNC Machine: BlackTooth

Postby nikki1492 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:42 am

Thanks for the info, guys. Your helpful postings have been put into my help folder.

I haven't yet started making firewood but am not far off. With info like you've posted I'm hoping there will be less of it.

Again, thanks. Please keep sharing so we newbies have someplace to start and avoid common pitfalls.

Barb "the burgie"
nikki1492

Previous

Return to Tutorials