Text Size

V-carving Images

V-carving Images

Postby mikeusnret » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:59 am

Have any of you had much success in carving images using a 60 deg vcarve bit?

I have downloaded and installed the photovcarve trial version and have attempted to run one of the trial pictures, but all I can seem to see when the project is finished is just angled lines that the bit has cut and no releif image at all.

In another post on here, I read that someone had used image to gcode and tried that, but again all it did was cut grooves with no visable images.

In both cases, I was using 3/4" mdf just to test things out and want to be able to get something that will work with some reliability before shelling out more $$ for a program that won't work.

mikeusnret

V-carving Images

Postby mikeusnret » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:11 pm

I went ahead and purchased PhotoVCarve from vectric, but still having issues with my BT 2.2.

I imported a photo of my '58 chevy PHOTOVCARVE
and this is what I get ACTUAL CUT

As you can see, the program picture looks like it should in wood, but the results are absolutely horrendous.

I know that the problem has to lie in my Z-Axis. I can see the DRO in Mach 3 changing constantly when the program is running, but I never ever see any fluxuations on the actual Z drive itself.

It more than likely has something to do with resolution and I checked my Z drivers and it is set for 1/8 microstepping.

I was attempting to do this image at 0.015 (1/64) deep in the wood, but is that too little of a depth for the BT 2.2 to even measure?

Any help appreciated.

mikeusnret

V-carving Images

Postby bajaru » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:58 pm

Hey Michael,
I'll download the trial version and give it a shot on my BT 2.1 and let you know what I get
-Brian

Pa sez: "Keep your flesh away from rapidly spinning metal things."
bajaru

CNC Machine: BlackToe v2 4x8

V-carving Images

Postby Awesomeness » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:47 pm

It looks like the software is picking up a lot of image noise. That's not really what it should look like, I don't think, based on my experience playing with the other Vectric trials.

It might help to use a vector-art program, like Adobe Illustrator, to trace the image outlines and turn them into solid shapes. Trying to get 3D out of a 2D image is really tough. You can help the process along by massaging the image into the best possible input for the software.

If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

V-carving Images

Postby mikeusnret » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:16 am

I posted the same questions on the Sawmil Creek CNC forums and also on the CNC Zone in the Vectric forum. haven't had a chance to read through all the responses yet, but one I did get on the Zone basically said that unless I'm using only plastic or perhaps Maple, I'll NEVER get this to work because the homebuilt system that we have do not have a fine enough resolution to be able to work. Oh Really...seems that Mr. $10 - $20K shopbot owner fails to realize that his system started out as a garage build at one time as well lol

I did try to run the program, with some limited success, on my 20 x 40 book build system even though I fought throuh a plethera of problems, so the 2.2 Toe should be able to work just as well with this.

mikeusnret

V-carving Images

Postby Huzzah » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:11 pm

Have you tried posting on Vectric's support forum? I read that forum daily and I'm hoping to use their someday (after I actually build my machine) and they seem very helpful there.

Huzzah

V-carving Images

Postby mikeusnret » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:56 pm

Yep. Have posted on Vectric's forums as well. just trying to get any ideas from multiple sources.

One solution I received that may be plausible is that I need to cut my Velocity and Acceleration in Mach 3 Motor tuning in half, and also use a slower feed rate. As mentioned to me, it coulde be possible that the system itself isn't responding quickly enough to the changes in Z height/depth for the machine to keep up with.

mikeusnret

V-carving Images

Postby Awesomeness » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:55 pm

Your machine should have the resolution necessary. Our wooden machines will be less rigid than metal machines though, which means we can't cut as fast or as deep or else the feedback force will skew the bit out of position. You can push on the bit, and watch it deflect, on our machines.

What depth are you setting for z on that image? Your screenshot looks 100% nothing like the results I get. I'm playing with Vectric Aspire, which I assume just includes the same coded-functionality of the smaller products. I'm setting the z to 0.4" (so that it can cut in 1/2" MDF and leave a little stock) and I'm getting lots of relief. It doesn't always looks like an image, but there is a full 0.4" between the highs and lows. Your machined piece just looks like you machined in one z-plane with a ballnose bit, and the only z-relief left is from the curve of the tip combined with the stepover.

Awesomeness

V-carving Images

Postby mikeusnret » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:55 pm

Guido,

I had to laugh at part of your comment when referring to one plane with a ballnose bit because I thought exactly the same thing when it was committing suicide on that picture.

Anyway, I did some more playing around and this time did a trial run using a black/white photo of my wife that was taken some 30 years ago. Looks like a bit of success.

Here is Cut 2

mikeusnret

V-carving Images

Postby Awesomeness » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:07 pm

That definitely looks better. It helps that the ruler is in the picture too. So you just want to engrave the image barely into the surface? I've been using it to turn pictures into actual 3D things, like an embossed sign.

Awesomeness

Next

Return to Tutorials