Text Size

V-carving Images

V-carving Images

Postby keith » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:22 pm

Michael I have just looked at Cut 2 and it does look very good compared to your first Cut. I have followed this thread as I am currently playing with the trial version of PhotoVcarve before I purchase it. I saw that you thought some of your problems might have been caused by your Velocity, Acceleration and feed rate. Did you make any significant changes to produce Cut 2?

The Titanic was built by professionals; the Ark was built by Amateurs..........
keith

CNC Machine: BlackToe v2 4x8

V-carving Images

Postby curtizus » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:42 pm

Mike -

Here is how I cut several Images (That looked soooooooooo good!!), First I downloaded a program called Image to Gcode, -This is very easy to use Software... and the first 30 days are free. Next I scanned a black and White photo... sized it, and adjusted the image with the sw. - Next I bought a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch collar adaptor from Sears for 5 bucks, and picked up some small dremel engraveing tools. Used the Image to Gcode program to generate my code... then fed it to Mach 3... took about 2 hours to cut, gave it a light sanding, applied a stain to pick up on deeper areas, resanded... and BAM ...Perfect Image.

- Timothy

curtizus

V-carving Images

Postby curtizus » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:54 pm

By the way Mike.... that post you did of your finished project had me LOL for a long time!!!, The trick is a really small cutter and only engraving .010 -.015,

Really hope the next attempt works out better for ya!

- Timothy

curtizus

Re: V-carving Images

Postby voltsandbolts » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:37 pm

"That definitely looks better. It helps that the ruler is in the picture too. So you just want to engrave the image barely into the surface? I've been using it to turn pictures into actual 3D things, like an embossed sign."

Got any examples to show us?
voltsandbolts

Postby Awesomeness » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:00 pm

Not really, because I was just using the trial. The trial won't let you save or generate toolpaths for any of your own work.

I was making stuff kind of like this though...

(Man, it's nice to finally have attachments. And sorry for the crappy cell phone picture.)
Attachments
AllianceLion_small.jpg
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby mikeusnret » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:59 am

Now that I have a basic understanding of photovcarve in wood, it's time to venture into litho's. This should be fun. :)
mikeusnret

Postby keith » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:40 pm

Awesomeness your example looks great; am I right in thinking that you used one of the Vectric trial softwares to do that? Can you tell me which one it was?
The Titanic was built by professionals; the Ark was built by Amateurs..........
keith

CNC Machine: BlackToe v2 4x8

Postby Awesomeness » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:43 pm

No, I didn't. As I stated, the Vectric trials will not let you do any work with your own files. You can not generate toolpaths or save any work that you open from your files. Only the included test files are usable.

It's really a shame, since the whole point of testing the software is to see how it will work for YOUR needs. I don't trust files that they have hand-selected and know to work perfectly. I want to see what it does when I put it through the works. It's a poor decision made by the bean counters, in my opinion.

I made that lion with CAMBam, which has it's own share of issues.

I'll post the files in the CAM section.
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby nikki1492 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:53 pm

"I was attempting to do this image at 0.015 (1/64) deep in the wood"

Hey Mike,
1/64 inch is 0.0625.

At first I thought it might be a typo but I see that's the max depth you set in PhotoVCarve.

Could this be your problem?
nikki1492

Postby philipw » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:27 pm

Uh, no. 0.0625" is 1/16"

1/64" is 0.0156"

philip

nikki1492 wrote:"I was attempting to do this image at 0.015 (1/64) deep in the wood"

Hey Mike,
1/64 inch is 0.0625.

At first I thought it might be a typo but I see that's the max depth you set in PhotoVCarve.

Could this be your problem?
philipw

CNC Machine: "Book" Machine

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials