Text Size

Pick and Place Machine

Re: Pick and Place Machine

Postby PHoodDaniel » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:24 am

I remember seeing these instructions a while ago: http://garage-shoppe.com/wordpress/?p=109

Looks easy. I may be going to Walmart with the change under the sofa cushions.
PHoodDaniel

Postby airnocker » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:43 am

Now that is sweet.
airnocker

Everything depends on everything else
airnocker

CNC Machine: Custom

Postby Awesomeness » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:47 am

I use one of these $15 venturi vacuum pumps for my vacuum chamber. You need an air compressor to run it, but I can pull vacuum to within 1" of mercury of perfect vacuum. It moves a lot of air too, and will pull a 2 gallon chamber down to about 15"Hg in 10-15 sec, and then down to 23.75"Hg (24.8"Hg is perfect vacuum for me here near Denver) in another 20 sec or so.
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-vacuum ... 96677.html
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby PHoodDaniel » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:08 pm

Good find. For $5 more, this may be a better selection, and has proper hose connections.
PHoodDaniel

Postby ranger90 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Vacuum filtration.

One way to help, would be to have an expansion chamber arrangement in the line someplace before the vacuum pump. The idea is have the small line going in, then the chamber, and another line coming out. The chamber (think size of a glass jelly jar) would serve as an expansion chamber, the air would come in one side, slow down a great deal, because of the area of the jar, theoretically, dropping any floating particulates, the clean air would then continue onto the pump.

I suppose one would want some kind of filter, just in case. Maybe like a coffee filter. The expansion chamber would need to be detachable, so the bottom could be removed and emptied.

For those who have experience with old tractors, they would have a sediment bulb on the bottom of the gas tank. Same principle.
ranger90

CNC Machine: BlueChick

Postby Kevin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:11 am

You may want a cotton-lined box for the venturi vacuum pump. They're loud. Aircraft repair technicians muffle them with a cotton filter over the exit air nozzle. Another up-side is you could throttle the vacuum level by controlling the pressure/flow input with a normal regulator. Vacuum regulators cost a fortune. The actual venturi is a tiny little metal fitting. If you keep the air nozzle clear, it's smaller without the plastic case.

I gather you can buy electrical components pre-positioned on a ribbon. I feel a little silly not thinking of it before. Closed loop feedback is a challenge. I wonder if you could do it by really simple means like a visual go/no-go system. If the component's shadow is smaller or larger or out of position from expectation, you stop to get human help. That would amount to pass/fail on the darkness or lightness of pixels. It's easiest to write logic when you know what to expect. Checking a little up, down, left or right of expectation could be the first fault tolerance addition.

How do you keep the leads on cylindrical resistors or capacitors pointed down like you need to hit holes? Different gripper vac nose than flat parts? Do they offer these in flat form factors too?
Kevin

CNC Machine: None

Postby airnocker » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:34 am

How do you keep the leads on cylindrical resistors or capacitors pointed down like you need to hit holes? Different gripper vac nose than flat parts? Do they offer these in flat form factors too?

Kevin, pick and place technology is why there is a major move to surface mount resistors and capacitors with standard resistor/capacitors being poked in place by human hands. See my post earlier in this thread that speaks to other issues you so astutely raise.
airnocker

Everything depends on everything else
airnocker

CNC Machine: Custom

Postby PHoodDaniel » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:24 am

Well, I bought a couple of air pumps from Walmart to take apart. I elected to get the more expensive ones. I may just follow the steps that was outlined earlier for the air pump conversion to the sucker. I may also utilize the jar method to filter out heavy particles. I will probably video the process so others can follow a video process rather than a pictorial process.
PHoodDaniel

Postby PHoodDaniel » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:31 pm

The air pumps from Walmart, unfortunately, well... didn't suck!! I may try a large semi-rigid diaphram connected to some other type of pump to draw air and created pressure in the diaphragm and use a valve, but I will probably fall back to my 6 CFM 1 stage vacuum pump and add a relay to the pump for on/off action. My main concern would be the the on/off and the harm that would cause the motor, so I may still use a valve with this configuration as well.
PHoodDaniel

Postby PHoodDaniel » Thu May 12, 2011 4:58 pm

Here are a couple of sneak peek photos of the pnp I have so far.

PHoodDaniel

PreviousNext

Return to Research & Development