Text Size

Clamping method

Re: Clamping method

Postby mhall717 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:56 pm

I have and use the Festool clamps. They work great and have a nice cam action.

My only problem with them is that they use horizontal force to keep the work piece in place. If you don't use tabs or they if they are in the wrong place, the clamp can push the unsupported material into the bit. This is only a problem on through cuts. I only mention it because I've had it happen to me twice.
mhall717

Postby Awesomeness » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:04 pm

Good point. I also use a set of PinchBlox that work pretty well.

My plan is to use the horizontal clamps on the spoil board only, then use the PinchBlox to hold material to the spoil board.
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby nwc-cnc » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:48 pm

I am considering a purchase of a kit from PHD,
Clamping is one of my major concerns.

What have you all finally come up with?

Thanks in advance
nwc-cnc

Postby Awesomeness » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:52 pm

Honestly, anymore I mostly just screw things down into the spoilboard. It's quick and effective.

Some people have used the machine to prepare an array of holes in the spoil board, to accommodate tee-nuts or hurricane-nuts. There is also about 3/4" of space on either side of the spoil board that could accommodate a narrow t-track, or something similar.
Awesomeness

Postby jeff » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:25 am

Ditto on screwing to the spoil board. I cut an elaborate set of pinch blocks, then searched all over creation for some nylon bolts. Now they set gathering dust. Screwing is easy and fast and there is nothing better ecxept a vaccum, in my opinion. Just be sure to get the right length screws and make sure you allow enough room not to hit one.
jeff

CNC Machine: RedFrog

Postby servant74 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:29 am

I was wondering if using brass or aluminum screws would be better to help protect bits from 'spurious gcode':) I've even thought of slightly tapered dowels, drill a hole about the dowel size and use dowel of similar material (if routing oak, use an oak dowel). Just a thought.

Or use an eccentric wood cam (for horizontal clamping) with a dowel going into a small hole drilled into the spoil board (I saw something like this on a very old ShopBot post).
If at first you don't succeed, think about scratching parachute jumping off your bucket list.
servant74

CNC Machine: None

Postby MikeBronner » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:48 am

I have added 5 rows of t-tracks to my table, they come with the two clamps included (I now have a total of 20 clamps, if anyone needs some):
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page ... te=ROCKLER
The one real drawback with these is that the bolts are fairly high and very easily interfere with the router mount. To overcome this I use 5" - 10" of mdf boards around the piece being cut to give enough clearance (see bottom part of image):

I think I will implement a combination of Patrick's method outline in the original post, and the t-tracks to get around the issue of the t-track bolts being too tall. I'll also try screwing into the spoil board to see how that works.
MikeBronner

Postby keith » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:30 pm

I had used a combination of 5mm holes into which I put shelf support pins with 6mm Tee-Nuts into which I placed bolts to clamp the work piece down. However..... I over tightened one day recently and I pulled the Tee-Nut almost all the way through the spoil board. :oops: :cry:

So now I have order a number of T-tracks and when they arrive I will replace the 4X8 spoil board with a combination of T-tracks set 6 inches apart with a number of 48" X 6" spoil boards which are drilled for 5mm shelf pins and fitted with 6mm Tee-Nuts.

I figure that I might as well do the best I can think of whilst I am redoing the spoil board clamping system. I wish I could find some of those $10 Reverse Action Push-Pull Toggle Clamps that Awesomeness bought; http://www.jwwinco.com/products/section15/36070/, how did they work out for you Awesomeness?

But as usual living in the UK has a number of disadvantages so it might take a while to find a supply at a reasonable cost. There is NO ONE in the UK like Harbor Freight Tools - http://www.harborfreight.com/
The Titanic was built by professionals; the Ark was built by Amateurs..........
keith

CNC Machine: BlackToe v2 4x8

Postby Awesomeness » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:55 pm

keith wrote:I figure that I might as well do the best I can think of whilst I am redoing the spoil board clamping system. I wish I could find some of those $10 Reverse Action Push-Pull Toggle Clamps that Awesomeness bought; http://www.jwwinco.com/products/section15/36070/, how did they work out for you Awesomeness?

Honestly, they were a prime example of "things I thought I needed because I read dumb stuff people raved about online". I never use them.

Screws are so cheap, plentiful, convenient, and effective, that I use them almost exclusively. When screws won't work, it probably means that I'm cutting some complicated 3D thing that can't be held from any "above" position, in which case I use double-sided Scotch tape.

Screws and tape... lame, but extremely effective.
Awesomeness

Postby keith » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:30 pm

Thanks for the info Awesomeness.

What material do you use for your spoilboard?

Can we get everyone who reads this to post in with what they use for a spoilboard? I have been using MDF however would Birch ply be better?
Thanks everyone!
The Titanic was built by professionals; the Ark was built by Amateurs..........
keith

CNC Machine: BlackToe v2 4x8

PreviousNext

Return to Research & Development