Text Size

SHOW & TELL CORNER

Topics not related to the DIY community.

Re: SHOW & TELL CORNER

Postby Eagle55 » Thu May 24, 2012 4:43 am

Any chance of getting this as a .CRV file so I could resize it?

edit
Just realized this was a very big thread. Was talking about the Mayan Calender.
Eagle55

CNC Machine: GreenBull

Postby keith » Thu May 24, 2012 8:14 pm

I have had to remove the toolpath because it was 22MB with it.

I have had to RAR the file also.

Any problems please let me know.

this is the positive version if you want the negative try removing one or more of the outer rings.don't for get to post your results!!!

Keith

:D :D :D
Attachments
AZTEC CALENDAR POSITIVE no toolpath.rar
(601.65 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
The Titanic was built by professionals; the Ark was built by Amateurs..........
keith

CNC Machine: BlackToe v2 4x8

A very interesting machine

Postby keith » Wed May 30, 2012 8:37 am

I just saw this over on Make and I thought that I would share it. It is not a CNC machine but never the less it is an interesting machine:

http://blog.makezine.com/2012/05/29/cop ... %28MAKE%29

Enjoy
The Titanic was built by professionals; the Ark was built by Amateurs..........
keith

CNC Machine: BlackToe v2 4x8

Postby kevinl » Wed May 30, 2012 1:30 pm

i've also like this guy's wooden bandsaw...
kevinl

CNC Machine: Custom

Postby Trotline » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:30 pm

I've been working to learn BobCAD/CAM (V24 Std), especially the solid modelling. It's pretty cool software! Does much more than I can currently control. :)

Here are some parts I carved from 1/2" thick white oak, I arranged them for the pic, but they're pretty much as-cut on the table. (except the lid) Then two pics of them all assembled. Dimensions are 6"x10"x4.75 Lots of issues cropped up making it, but the next few are in the pipeline now, and each will hopefully improve on the previous ones. :)

Learning the software well enough to quickly turn out shapes like this is an exercise, and a way to help pay for the machine. It's a slow way to make boxes, but since I don't have any other shop tools, only handheld ones, it's the only game in town. :) I used the Z-level roughing and finishing features. Drew all of the shapes up as primitives, to make variations easier to do from a stock set of shapes.

I couldn't effectively undercut to make them blind dovetails, so it's properly blind box joinery. Cleanup time around the teeth is about 2-3 minutes per corner, so overall, around 10 minutes, give or take. I need to improve that process, to improve the miter fit. There were gaps on the inside, on this one.

I had 2 false starts on the lid, and stupidly finish passed the whole surface with a 1-8 ballnose.. Took almost 5 hours total, and the blowing air caused enough drying to warp the lid front to back. That's addressed in the next box by design, (It's a maze, V-carved into a flat surface), and later on, by intelligent machining. (Do things like surface the outer flat onto the lid with a .25 flat endmill, sand it smooth with a palm sander, then seal. Later, finish pass the ellipse only with the fine bit, to minimize cutting time).
"One man's ceiling is another man's floor". --Adrock

Luke Kilpatrick: Obsessive Tinker
Trotline

Postby Awesomeness » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:37 am

Very nice work!
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby newcncer » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:27 pm

Yeah, That is pretty cool.

Does Bobcad have training videos oh how to do joints like that? i like it!
newcncer

Postby Trotline » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:29 pm

Thanks, fellows! :) No, as far as I know, there aren't any videos on this particular sort of thing. I didn't buy the BobCAD training video package, though. I did download the nice videos Sorin made. You can get them through the http://cadcamtrainer.com site. They're a little buried, and you have to jump through a hoop or two, but they're very useful. Lots of little details in them.

Mostly, though, BobCAD has really good Help files, and I've been digging through them as I learned new features. Any CAD/CAM package that does solid modelling should have no problem with these shapes. I built them up from rectangular planks, prism shapes for the miters, little rectangular shapes for the teeth, which were then subtracted to form the mortises, etc. I wish I could just show you. Maybe these will be useful. I put them into .STL format, but if you'd prefer something different, I'll be glad to try it. :)

4x6x10 box primitives.zip
In this file, the individual shapes are drawn, but not joined or manipulated. Some are just there to be added to or subtracted from others.
(10.62 KiB) Downloaded 185 times

4x6x10 box parts footed.zip
Here are the finished parts, each a single solid, ready for toolpath generation.
(8.94 KiB) Downloaded 189 times

Edited because the files were messed up the first time around. :) Also, I'll add that I cleaned up the fillets at the base of the "teeth" with a 1/16" ballnose endmill chucked into a Dremel tool.

Luke

Trotline

Postby Trotline » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:33 am

I took a break from the fancy 3D stuff to concentrate on something a little more commercial. The nice reliefs just take too much time to cut, if you're trying to make some money. V-carving, on the other hand, is really fast. These take 15 minutes for the carving, and another 5 to profile.

The V-bits I've been using are a 0.25" 60degree angle from "The Drillman" http://stores.ebay.com/CARBIDE-PLUS?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 These bits seem to be pretty good quality, at least, I haven't worn one out yet, despite burying it once or twice during the learning process. The profiling cut just uses a 0.25" flat endmill

I've been leaving about 0.1" on the bottom, flipping the board over, and just doing a facing cut to reveal the parts. Cleanup isn't too bad, using a "Four-in-Hand" file/rasp, some sandpaper, and a razor knife.

Here's the Gcode for the V-carve, and the profiling cut.
Celtic Cross V-Carve Deep.zip
(107.38 KiB) Downloaded 242 times

Edit: And the geometry, in .DXF format. I've cleaned it up some, but it's still a little rough. I guess that's what happens when you convert from a little clipart image. :)
Celtic Cross.dxf
(334.23 KiB) Downloaded 245 times

Luke

Trotline

Postby Trotline » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:33 pm

A friend asked me if I could do a carving from a picture, for a gift to his wife's best friend. I showed him some lithophanes on the internet, and that led to me making this from a Polyethylene cutting board.

I used BobCAD's <Emboss from Image> feature, inverted it, and smoothed everything except the cats, giving it that out-of-focus background look that photographers call "bokeh". The part is 6" wide by almost 5" tall. The roughing pass was done with a 0.125" ballnose endmill, and the finishing pass was a 0.0625" ballnose, stepping over 0.002 between passes. I took this picture before I drilled out the little tabs at the top to recieve a cord. It's meant to hang in a window.

If you try using this material, get the most opaque cutting board you can find, and be prepared for it to warp both during and after machining. It needs to be clamped down very securely to the table, all around the perimeter, and afterward, it needs to be heated in the oven to soften it, and clamped between two flat surfaces to cool more or less flat. I experimented with a test cut, and came up with 290deg. F for this particular plastic.

Having gotten a successful part from polyethylene, I think I'll save myself some work, and get some Corian for the next one. :)

Cheers!

Luke

EDIT to ADD: I forgot to mention that the cutting board stock was 0.32" thick, and the max depth of cut, (the brightest parts of the picture), was 0.135".

Trotline

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic