Text Size

2.2KW spindle issues

Official support for products purchased from the BuildYourTools.com and BuildYourCNC.com sites, and the book "Build Your Own CNC Machine (Technology in Action)" by Patrick Hood-Daniel and James Floyd Kelly.

2.2KW spindle issues

Postby bphillip2 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:38 pm

I bought my 2.2 kW spindle and VFD controller(Huanyang inverter) from buildyourcnc.com. Having set one of these VFD’s up a few years ago for my ventilation fan I was surprised to see no information on how to configure the controller. Normally you need to know the motor nameplate ratings for voltage, maximum RPM, number of polls etc.

This Chinese spindle has no writing on it whatsoever, not even labels on electrical pins.

The problem is that each time I turn the unit on it gives me a dL error which corresponds to outputs shorted. The spindle does rotate perhaps one turn before shutting down . I have checked and triple checked the outputs and they are hooked up correctly to U,V and W 1, 2 and 3 respectively. I get approximately 1.8 ohms across each of the three motor pins . The fourth pin is a mystery with no apparent connection to any part, not even the chassis. This brings up another concern as to why any sane person would operate a 240 V motor with no case ground? Since there is no fastener on the body with which to connect a ground I connected the shield from my VFD cable to the shell of the plug to ground the body of the motor.

Any ideas?

Bryan
bphillip2

CNC Machine: None

Re: 2.2KW spindle issues

Postby bphillip2 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:12 am

Hello. I used the settings on this thread and now it runs. Still need to test it more though
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f170/tips ... ndex2.html

Input to VFD:
240V Active - R
240V Neutral - S
Ground - E

Output to Motor (use shielded cable BW VFD and Motor):
U - Pin1
V - Pin2
W - Pin3
Ground - Pin4 (Bolted to spindle case in some manner to provide good earth)

VFD Setup:

First:
Change PD001 Source of Run Commands to '1'
Change PD005 Max operating frequency to 400hz
Change PD004 base frequency to 400hz
Change PD003 Main frequency to 400hz
Change PD006 Intermediate frequency to 2.5
Change PD008 max voltage to 220v
Change PD009 Intermediate voltage to 15v
Change PD010 Min voltage to 8
Change PD011 frequency lower limit to >100hz (120hz to start)
Change PD142 7 Amps
Change PD143 2
Change PD144 3000

Note: PD001 had to be changed back to 0 to allow for keypad control.
Note2: I had to reverse U and V to get the spindle to go forward in FWD. (reverse any two wires, u&v or w&v for example)

Thanks for all the help.

B
bphillip2

CNC Machine: None

Postby PHoodDaniel » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:31 pm

Thanks for posting the information on the VFD (inverter) setup.

Regarding the 240v ground to spindle, I don't believe the spindle is connected to the 240v directly. The 240v is connected to the VFD and isolated from the spindle. The case of the VFD is plastic, so there is no need for grounding for the external case of the VFD.

The pin4, as told to me from the supplier, is just a dead pin. ** correction the 4th pin is connected to the motor housing for ground. **

If anyone has more information that they would like to contribute to VFD or spindle operation and setup, please post on this thread.
PHoodDaniel

Postby PHoodDaniel » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:59 pm

Correction on the 4th pin on the top of the spindle. After looking at a spindle teardown on another site, the 4th pin is connected to the housing of the spindle for ground.
PHoodDaniel

Return to Product Support (Build Your Tools / Build Your CNC)