Text Size

Chapter 16.5??

Official support for products purchased from the BuildYourTools.com and BuildYourCNC.com sites, and the book "Build Your Own CNC Machine (Technology in Action)" by Patrick Hood-Daniel and James Floyd Kelly.

Chapter 16.5??

Postby rebeltaz » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:58 am

Phillip --> you claim that pages 176 and 177 detail parts A and B, but that isn't completely true. The last sentence on page 176 says "Remember, the 5/8" holes and the smaller 1/4" holes will not be drilled until Chapter 17."

Chapter 17 does not detail the drilling of these holes, nor is the X- or Y-Axis lead nuts mounting detailed.

If you can give me page numbers where these details are discussed, I will gladly admit being wrong, otherwise this is another point of contention....

rebeltaz

CNC Machine: "Book" Machine

Chapter 16.5??

Postby philipw » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:11 pm

Derek,

I *think* the idea was once you've been shown how to do it once, you just do it again in the next two places, as opposed to telling you ever time how to do the same step over and over. That's how I took it. True, since they referred to chapter 17, it should be addressed.

Everybody should note though that every time you are locating the centerline of the hole for the lead screw nut, it must be AFTER you have assembled the end bearing points for the lead screw. Only that way can you ensure the hole is in fact lined up with the centerline of the leadscrew where it goes through the bearings. This is because the lengths of the pieces this hole goes in is adjusted for each individual build, so you can't actually dimension to it and be dead on.

philipw

Chapter 16.5??

Postby rebeltaz » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:30 am

Yet, when building the BRAs, they at least tell you WHEN to build them and that the procedure is the same as in chapter 4. I looked again and I cannot even find a reference past chapter 6 as to when the holes for the nuts need to be drilled...

rebeltaz

Re: Chapter 16.5??

Postby rebeltaz » Fri May 14, 2010 4:57 am

I hate beating a dead horse, but after the troubles I've had because of the 'chapter16.5" issue and the 'partsC&D' issue, I am STILL having trouble getting everything to line up correctly instead of being able to show a completed unit.

The last paragraph of Chapter 16 says "... In Chapter 17, we're going to finish the CNC frame by drilling and adding in the lead screws..." The first paragraph of Chapter 17 says "...At this point, your machine has lead screws inserted through all three axes[sic]..."

Well, mine doesn't and I am having a hell of a time with this... but that is in another thread...
rebeltaz

Postby Awesomeness » Fri May 14, 2010 5:08 am

rebeltaz wrote:I hate beating a dead horse, but after the troubles I've had because of the 'chapter16.5" issue and the 'partsC&D' issue, I am STILL having trouble getting everything to line up correctly instead of being able to show a completed unit.

The last paragraph of Chapter 16 says "... In Chapter 17, we're going to finish the CNC frame by drilling and adding in the lead screws..." The first paragraph of Chapter 17 says "...At this point, your machine has lead screws inserted through all three axes[sic]..."

Well, mine doesn't and I am having a hell of a time with this... but that is in another thread...

First, "axes" is the correct pluralization of "axis". Same spelling, different pronunciation.

Second, I agree that the book is deficient in some details that would save lots of calculation and work time if they had been included. I didn't think any of it was show-stopping though. Can you explain better exactly what you're having trouble with?

Putting in the other lead screws is exactly the same as you did on the x-axis, which the book describes. Insert threaded rod in the hole, thread on a square nut, use two screws to bolt the square nut to the MDF, and use a coupler to connect the threaded rod to the motor shaft. There aren't any changes to worry about.
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby servant74 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:17 pm

After reading the book, discussions, etc, it might help customer satisfaction if a bit more was written possibly put in a PDF downloadable for free that would be an 'Errata' section.

For other books I have used over time that are technical in nature, having an Errata that points out, miss spellings, updated or missed information is a 'good thing'(tm) and helps sell more copies of the current publication, and future books.

Even adding more detail that could help the newbies would be of value. Also the Errata could keep being appended to as new items/issues are found.

Might consider that for the "Printing in Plastic" book too. Go ahead and set up a section before a book is release to be a place for 'future information' as well as errata.

I too had issues, but am getting around them. Still it would be easier if the book had been 'debugged' a bit more thoroughly before publication.
If at first you don't succeed, think about scratching parachute jumping off your bucket list.
servant74

CNC Machine: None

Postby krugshouse » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:50 pm

Wow & Wow again on the subject of missing details. I bought the book, I read it and I thought it was pretty informative. Sure there is some information in it that isnt perfect or possibly omitted, but overall it did what it needed to do. It told us all that anyone can build a machine even with limited space and tools. Now I also downloaded the books drawings from the web site. I printed them on 17" X 11" paper(for ease of reading since I'm 60 and bigger print is better). Now those were good and I was able to put my machine together easily. Now as I laid out my cuts and holes onto my material (cabinet grade plywood) (I hate MDF) I double checked and confirmed the measurements to make sure that the parts would in fact match up. Not a real hard process but very time consuming. In the end all I did was make my 1/4" holes 9/32nds for alignment purposes. After all there are many pieces to this puzzle. Since I never wrote a book on how to build something and I'm sure 99% of the rest of you haven't either lets hold down the dissing. In conclusion Patrick and James did a great job, thanks guys.
Attachments
DSCF0007.JPG
DSCF0006.JPG
DSCF0005.JPG
Safe machining
krugshouse

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby robedney » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:35 pm

I bought the book because I needed an introduction to the subject and a basic design -- and I'm glad I did. Although my machine (nearly finished now) bears little resemblance to a "book" machine, it was the book that gave me the basic information to create my own design and modify things along the way. I do understand the various criticisms -- however I don't think that any of them are a deal-breaker. Given some persistence and the use of this forum, I think that the book delivers on its promise to generate a working machine.

One thing that people seem to miss: The "book" machine is actually a clever design. It allows working with relatively low precision tools yet still ending up with a machine capable of doing relatively precision work. How? Because it doesn't -- and can't -- give you all the measurements of front. You have to "fit" various assemblies to what you've already built -- that's one of the reasons it all works. This fitting process allows room for error -- both human and tool based -- and compensates for it along the way.

I ended up going making several design changes. I used steel instead of aluminum. I welded lots of the parts. My gantry has lots more in the way of rigidity and mass. I'm using 4 steppers instead of 3 (I'll post pics soon). However, the book was definitely my starting point. No, it's not perfect -- but so far as I could find it's the best thing out there for an all-in-one-place solution.
robedney

CNC Machine: Custom

Previous

Return to Product Support (Build Your Tools / Build Your CNC)