Text Size

Woodworking Newbie with Limited Tools - Can I do this?

Official support for products purchased from the BuildYourTools.com and BuildYourCNC.com sites, and the book "Build Your Own CNC Machine (Technology in Action)" by Patrick Hood-Daniel and James Floyd Kelly.

Re: Woodworking Newbie with Limited Tools - Can I do this?

Postby Awesomeness » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:05 pm

lonetreecreations wrote:Small magnets from Harbor Freight for holding the cross dowels was a Godsend for me.

Good call. I did something similar, using an old computer hard drive magnet (a large, powerful magnet) stuck to my screwdriver shaft. That let the screwdriver itself "grab" on to the crossdowels.
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby sketch » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:22 am

Further to Awesomeness' previous reply regarding circular saw guides, a neat trick to make a cheap and accurate guide is as follows:
You need:
- a length of MDF/ply/hardboard that is at least as wide as your circular saw guide + a bit, 6"/15cm or more, and as long as whatever you need to cut (or you could make a range)
- find a length of straight edge (metal angle is great, 1" timber strips would work fine too.
- Some screws, which will depend on material.

Attch the angle/timber strip to one side of the long thin sheet using the screws. Make sure there are no bends and that it is perfectly straight.
clamp it to edge of table with the long thin sheet extended a bit past edge of table.
run circular saw along length of long thin sheet.

you now have a jig that you can line up with your cut mark and know exactly where the cut will be made, as well as a guide you can clamp to your work piece, and by making a few, you can accommodate for practically any length of cut!

hope that's clear? i could post some pictures if above description is difficult to follow ...
sketch

CNC Machine: RedFrog

Postby krugshouse » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:19 pm

i built a cnc from the book using a bench drill press, a portable table saw and some hand tools. that part was easy. i used cabinet grade plywood instead of MDF. so remember to account for the slightly less than 3/4 inch size of the material. i will attach a picture of it.
Attachments
DSCF0005.JPG
my project
Safe machining
krugshouse

Postby lscarmic » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:29 pm

here's a link for a ripping guide/jig. i see it has a range of 0.5" to 6" but i'm guessing that could be expanded with a little tweaking.

http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Proje ... ep-By-Step
lscarmic

CNC Machine: "Book" Machine

Postby Lee DeRaud » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:19 pm

krugshouse wrote:i used cabinet grade plywood instead of MDF. so remember to account for the slightly less than 3/4 inch size of the material.
The 24"x48" Home Depot MDF panels that Patrick calls out in the book aren't a true 3/4" either: they're 18mm. (They aren't actually 24"x48" either, but that's another story.)

I think they finally started putting the true dimension on the labels, but I don't trust them after a couple of trips when they had old stock and new stock mixed. I always take a cheap plastic caliper to check.

That which does not kill us will regret not finishing the job.
Lee DeRaud

CNC Machine: BlackTooth

Postby krugshouse » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:53 pm

I didnt buy 2' x 4' pieces, i bought one 4' x 8' sheet and when i split it the table was 23 29/32nds thin by 48. i know its not a true 3/4. all i did for the side holes was measured each board and then split the difference. and since there are so many pieces I made my 1/4" holes 9/32" to allow a little wiggle room. mostly I double and triple checked my measurements. once it was together everything was snug and it seems to travel straight. the true test will be after i get it wired up and running. cross my fingers.
Safe machining
krugshouse

Postby Awesomeness » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:32 pm

You must be using plywood. MDF (as the instructions indicate you should use) IS 3/4" +/- a few thousandths, and full sheets of MDF are actually 1" oversized (49"x97"). So if you build it out of MDF, everything works as planned.
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

Postby Mr Ron » Sat May 19, 2012 7:03 pm

The more tools you have, the easier it becomes, but they can be built using a few simple tools. You will need drawings to work from. You may find them on the internet or you can go the kit route. The latter will require the least amount of tools. Some of us go the new design route and that requires more advanced skills you will pick up as you go along. Like some others, I use CAD on the PC for the design. This allows tou to plan ahead for each and every operation. After everything has been cut and all drilled holes made, the pieces should fall together. This is not a route I would follow when first starting out. Even so, mistakes are made, even by the most experienced. I have been designing and building all my life and this is the first CNC I'm building. I feel I have enough experience overall to build a CNC from scratch.
Mr Ron

CNC Machine: Custom

Postby TroyR » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:03 pm

The most difficult part for me may be learning the CAD software...I am much better with my hands than with my head :oops:
TroyR

CNC Machine: None

Previous

Return to Product Support (Build Your Tools / Build Your CNC)