Text Size

I need help...

Official support for issues with the BuildYourTools.com, BuildYourCNC.com, and forums family of websites.

I need help...

Postby ulan.sharshenbaev » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:52 am

Hello everyone,
greetings from Kyrgyzstan...
I want to build a cnc machine for my university.But i have a problem with "marking" items.In my country we don't use "inches" we usually use "cm".It is not a big deal to convert inches to cm. But i can't understand this kind of thing.For instance:
1. MDF 2' x 4' x 3/4"
2. Aluminum Angle 3/4" x 1/8"
3. Bolts 5/16" - 18 x 3/4" L (for slide bearings)
What do this number mean?(2' x 4' x 3/4")

Thanks
ulan.sharshenbaev

CNC Machine: None

Re: I need help...

Postby bajaru » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:37 pm

This is a way to abbreviate feet and inches.

For example:
2' x 4' x 3/4" means 2 feet wide by 4 feet long by 3/4 inch thick

Aluminum Angle 3/4" x 1/8" means that each side of the angle is 3/4 inch wide and it is made of material 1/8 inch thick

Bolts 5/16" - 18 x 3/4" L means 5/16 inch diameter with 18 pitch threads, 3/4 inch long
(metric threads are measured differently than standard threads. For standard bolts, 18 pitch means 18 of them will fit in 1 inch. Higher numbers means finer pitch. In metric, the thread pitch means the distance between threads, so higher numbers mean coarser pitch.)

I hope that helps a bit.

Maybe someday the US will join the rest of the world and abandon this crazy, old system we have which was based on the length of a certain king's foot and how many fairies could dance on the head of a pin without spilling their cups of magical alligator tears.
bajaru

CNC Machine: BlackToe v2 4x8

Postby ulan.sharshenbaev » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:13 am

Thank you...
Now it's clear...and it's better for me to start searching parts for my CNC machine...
I hope too...that someday US will abandon a system which was based on the length of a certain king's foot))))
ulan.sharshenbaev

CNC Machine: None

Postby maineshops » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:57 am

ulan.....i think it is too expensive to change to the metric system all at one time. just think of changing all the road speed limit signs
maineshops

CNC Machine: "Book" Machine

Return to Website / Forums Support