Text Size

raster for dummies? blacktooth

raster for dummies? blacktooth

Postby ryanrabies » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:55 pm

hey all, so i'm pretty new to laser cutting. I bought the blacktooth build mainly to learn from scratch. I got the build done and have been etching/cutting using cambam and mach3. what I don't know how to do is fill in or raster an image. http://www.notcot.com/images/2008/12/mystery0.jpg
that's the first example I came to. I vaguely know about the pocket tool on cambam, but so far my research doesn't come up with much on tweaking the setting to work with a laser specifically. everything i've messed with doesn't turn out right. I was wondering if someone would be generous enough to educate me on doing this type of laser cutting, or can provide links with where the information is, seeming I can't seem to find it on my own. Thanks in advance!
ryanrabies

CNC Machine: BlackTooth

Re: raster for dummies? blacktooth

Postby Muk » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:42 pm

Same thing took me ages to figure out.

CamBam + Mach 3 are strictly about operating a CNC. They won't have the 'raster' function like what you'd expect for a laser. So the only thing you can do with that combo is use pocket fill (which tbh is crap). I had to go that route for well, from the time I got it to about a month ago. Found out that LinuxCNC with custom module allows for not only PPI (Pulse Per Inch) which drastically improves cutting quality but it also has a fantastic custom re-written raster function built into it. On par with a DSP easily.

I wrote a guide how to get rolling with it here. http://hobbycncart.com/forum/63-158-16

Email me if you get stuck or need any help. I'm always game to help fellow Blacktooth users...
Muk

Postby Muk » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:50 pm

The alternative if you don't want the extra work/features of LinuxCNC (I know the pain...i own CamBam and Mach 3)

http://www.picengrave.com/

I have that program, works great! I switched to LinuxCNC because I wanted PPI. That program allows for raster via G-Code through Mach 3, but won't produce the result you saw in those pictures...just allows engraving photos to wood, not 'crisp' and 'deep' shapes like that. You need LinuxCNC for that stuff.
Muk

Postby ryanrabies » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:18 pm

so I have linuxcnc on my computer. I have gotten it all set up, and have done some test cuts with it successfully. but that was from using my own stepcomf configuration. the problem is whenever I try using your (muks) .hal and .ini files or the jv4779's (i've edited what I understood on those) then the laser goes crazy. for instance, the laser turns on when i open linuxcnc, and jogging doesn't turn it off. so i just crank the pot off. the Y axis moves only in one direction. it will only move backwards, unless i move the x axis left, then it only moves forward until i move the x axis right. looking through the .ini file, I pretty much understand everything in that. but the .hal file has got some head scratchers, and I think that's where the problem lies. if anyones got .hal and .ini files that dont use homing switches that work for the blacktooth, can you send them my way please and thanks?
ryanrabies

Postby ryanrabies » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:52 pm

I just have to clarify, I was staring at coding all day long before I wrote that last post, so my brain was fried. the culprit here is the hal file. I can do "magic z" to fire the laser, but I'm pretty sure I'm just not educated enough to figure out how to control PWM, PPI, or duty cycle. The problem really is setting the pins. On the blacktooth build only 1 to 7 are used. But the hal files i'm looking at have others set as well. Where do they go to? for firing the laser for example, it says pin 17. can I just switch it to pin 7 or do I have pin 17 go out of the BOB to somewhere? and where is that? That's what has me scratching my head. I'm just trying to get a bare bones hal file that can do PPI and such, but I don't have homing switches and I don't want it to control my air pump or anything else. also, to do ppi and duty cycle, it requires edited gcode to have m3 m4 and m5 in the code, correct? I made a test with those in it but haven't tried it out yet. I'll be trying it out today, I just have to get my hal file squared away.
ryanrabies

Postby Muk » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:16 am

I'm not sure if you can do it homingswitchless. I'm really not sure.

Though you can change your pin-outs to whatever you want to suit, no issues there. You do have a Pin 17 on the BoB I believe but it's a matter of finding it.

Yes for controlling your PPI/Duty Cycle (you pick one) it's either M4 or M5 (CW or CCW spindle command) and the Spindle speed will adjust the respective PPI or Duty cycle. PPI maxes at 500 pp/mm where the duty cycle is 1-100 (again dependent on your M4 or M5 command to decide that).

Yeah...it definitely takes some head scratching to get it figured out that's for sure. Definitely not an easy learning curve for this part.
Muk

Postby zt67638 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:10 pm

I would use this software for raster/engraving: http://dotg.weebly.com/download.html

Just scroll down to find the English version, measurements in program are in mm.

Works well with windows/planet-cnc (USB version)

check it out!
zt67638

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Return to CAD/CAM/Control Software