Text Size

Mill slot

Mill slot

Postby maineshops » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:27 pm

I need to mill a slot .250 wide on a5 inch dia circle , 3 inches long in bobcad . Any ides? This will be for a phase adjustment on a cam for a rose engine. Thanks. Dan
maineshops

CNC Machine: "Book" Machine

Re: Mill slot

Postby Awesomeness » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:55 pm

Are you asking how to draw it in BobCAD?
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby maineshops » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:56 pm

Y es Awesome.. Draw it. Draw two circles 1/4 inch apart and terminate them at a certain angle? And Pocket. I need the slot.s from 0 deg. To 30 deg and, 180 to210 deg . Or draw a single line and cut on that line with a 1/4 in bit ? I need a series of holes too but I can do that in hole pattern
Ive spent quite a bit of time in the tutorials and can't seem to be able to find it. Thanks ........Dan
maineshops

Postby Awesomeness » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:49 am

Honestly, I use SolidWorks or something else for almost all of my drafting, and then only use BobCAD for CAM work. But I'm a "classically trained" drafter, and making a arced slot goes like this...

1. Draw a circle, at the center of the slot, as a "construction circle". You usually make this a dashed line, or on another layer.
  2. Offset the construction cirle 1/2 the slot width in each direction. Use the "offset" tool, almost every CAD program has one.
  3. Draw construction lines from the center of the circles out to the middle "construction circle", at the appropriate angles. These can either go to the center of the rounded ends, or the total endpoints of the slots.
  4. Draw circles at the ends of your slots, using the angled construction lines and the construction circle. Use the appropriate types of snaps (e.g. center point then tangent, or tangent then tangent, etc.) to do it.
  5. Trim away all the unwanted line segments, leaving only the slot.
Awesomeness

Postby maineshops » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:45 pm

Thanks A wesom......Ill give. It a go . sounds fairly streightforward ......dan
maineshops

Postby maineshops » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:07 pm

Awesom....can't seem to get a line at an angle from the center of my circle to my construction line at 2.5 r. It wants to draw tangent to my 2.5 construction line. Got everything to work other than that by guessing at some end points of my arc segment which are not critical. Any ideas? Dan
maineshops

Postby Awesomeness » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:26 am

Do you have a screenshot? I don't quite follow.
Awesomeness

Postby maineshops » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:38 pm

Got it figured out Awesom. I didn't,t have construction lins in the x any y through the circle to give me a center point". Your brief instruction gave me just the right nudge.
I had to Just draw 3circles. I couldent get the offset too to work for me. Nuther dumb spot but I'm gaining thanks ....Dan
maineshops

Postby Awesomeness » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:51 am

Don't feel bad. I took 4 years of formal CAD training in the '90s... a zillion hours of learning all the little tricks to manually creating all sorts of features, such as slots. With the power of the modern CAD programs, the art of drafting by hand is dying (as it should).
Awesomeness

Postby maineshops » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:50 pm

I was a draftsman in th 60s BC that's befor calculators . I was a tool and die maker and we working on parts for the camero and firebird ( gms answer to the mustang) the prints came to us without dimensions so we had to scale off the print, slot holes and hope the thing fit. Fun times.
I was one of those hard heads that said "computers would never catch on"
maineshops

Next

Return to CAD/CAM/Control Software