Text Size

Building whiteAnt in a foriegn country?

Building whiteAnt in a foriegn country?

Postby stev.dk » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:12 pm

Hello

I was following the tutorials by Patrick on youtube, about atmel microcontrollers, and it lead me around different website's. Ultimately i ended on buildyourcnc.com, falling in love with the whiteAnt. I bought the book, read it, had a vacation, read it again, bought some wood, read it again and started building the machine, while reading the book simultaneously.

I'we encountered some probems, when i started building the whiteAnt. First i had a hassle with the dimensions, cause all measurements is in inches, and in Denmark we use cm's and mm's. 2" would be 5,08cm or 50,8mm, and tools for measurements "only" uses 1 mm increments (some digital tools however does have 10th and 20th of 1mm increments, but thats not commonly used by woodworkers). But i figured the 20th of a cm, it is going to be off compared to the original dimensions wouldn't really matter, cause i cant cut that precise with my tools at hand, so im happy about the cuts so far, and i might want to share the dimensions in metric scale, when i complete my build.

Next problem is with the parts, and i haven't really overcome this problem yet, hence my forum post ;) The standard Simpson strong-tie HRS12, is not a standard in DK. We have the simpson strong-tie brand, but nothing in inches, so i can't obtain this piece. 12" is 30.48 cm's, and no such part is available. The closest i come would be (11-4/5") 300mm or (15-3/4") 400mm. If i knew the exact dimensions of the HRS12 (width x lenght x height) i might be able to cut one out. I found a seller on ebay, but he dosn't ship to DK, only US. You guys know of any US seller willing of shipping to DK? (i'll pre-pay using paypal, and pay all handling and shipping fee's).

Next question is for the buildyourcnc.com website. The whiteAnt CNC/3D printer kit contains: All hardware to assemble the kit, All mechanical components (drive pulleys, bearings, lead screw, anti-backlash Nut, etc.), 4 NEMA 23 Stepping Motors (1 for the Extruder and 1 motor for each axis), Structural components, Rails.

I have e few questions about this, and basicly i could email Patric, but others might wants to know the excat same thing, thats why forums are so great :)

"All hardware to assemble the kit", What does this include? Are hardware nuts & bolts, or?
"Structural components", Are this the wooden pieces, that im building from the book?
"Rails", Are these the HRS12 im missing?

Reason for asking is, i really want to save as much money on the shipping from US to DK as possible. Is it possible to make a special order from the buildyoucnc website, only purchasing the parts i need? It dosn't make sence to buy nuts and bolts and wooden parts from US, spending money on international shipping, when i can get it at my local hardware store. I'd rather spend that money on somekind of donation, for the website making this possible.

In advance thanks for your answers, and i hope to share a lot more knowledge with you guys in the future :)

// Cheers, Steffan
stev.dk

CNC Machine: WhiteAnt

Re: Building whiteAnt in a foriegn country?

Postby Awesomeness » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:32 pm

You'll just have to use your best judgement when choosing metric versions of parts specified in imperial units. Just examine the function, and make sure that the new part will fit without running into anything else, and choose a new part that will do the job.

The kits are very inclusive. They have all the nuts, bolts, wooden parts, clamps, screws, chains/belts, rails, or other stuff needed to get up and running. They won't include "optional" extras, like homing/limit switches. The kits will save you a LOT of time and effort creating or sourcing parts, if your time is important to you (especially since, in your case, you're trying to find imperial parts in a metric country).
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby stev.dk » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:03 pm

Okay, so i guess the, whiteAnt CNC/3D Printer Kit, is out of the question because i bought the book, and in my spare time have been making the peices. I also have a load of nuts, bolts and spacers lying around my workshop, and really no need to get a complete kit... Thats why i bought the book - i like to build stuff, and use things i have lying around making awesome stuff ;) Otherwise i'd just get the Orignal makerbot kit saving me a ton of time. (time really is not an issue btw).

As far as i can tell from the plans the least important dimension of the HRS12", is the lenght of 12", as long as it's not to long, interfearing with other parts, as the machine runs. The more important dimensions width and thickness, i nly know it should be 1/8" thick, cause it says so in the book. I know there should fit two pieces on part H (which i know to be 2-1/2" wide)... i can se the HRS12 overlap the edge, so the width of the strong-tie is slightly more than 2-1/2" combined, but i cant read or calculate how much. So i can't really find or make a replacement for this piece without knowing this dimension. I tried searching the net, and even emailed Simpson Strong-Tie dk, but with no result, thats why i turned here :)
stev.dk

Postby centroc » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:53 pm

Hi stev.dk, may I ask you where did you buy the book?

I am also in Denmark and want to buy a whiteAnt but if it ships from US I am afraid of customs taxes :S

What would you suggest? Do you know how much would I need to pay in order to get it shipped to Denmark? Or do you know if there is a Eropean seller? (in English please, I can't speak Danish yet!)

Thanks!
centroc

CNC Machine: None

Postby chunwong1234 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:52 pm

Yup . My name is Dick. I lived in Hong Kong. I have the same problem with the sorting the part simpson strong-tie metal brackets too. As i think the book didn't mention the exact dimension of the metal brackets.(May be i just missed it out)

And the units seem to be also a problem for us. As we are widely use the mm and cm for our measurement. Will anyone can have the another version of white ant plan with mm version?
chunwong1234

Return to DIY 3D Printing