Text Size

What Is A Good 1/8 Inch Collet Or Spindle?

What Is A Good 1/8 Inch Collet Or Spindle?

Postby ColinK » Sun May 29, 2016 4:55 am

I built the book CNC router and have been using it since about 2012.

The 1/4 inch Bosch/Colt router has done a fine job for me, but I want to use some tiny, deep cut 1/16 inch bits and there just don't seem to be any on 1/4 inch shafts.

Has anybody found 1/8 inch collets for the Colt and similar routers?

Has anybody found 1/16 inch deep cut end mills on a 1/4 inch shaft?

Worst come to worst, can anybody suggest a good 1/8 inch spindle for our DIY routers?

I'm working up a DREMEL mounting bracket, just in case no better solution comes up.

That solution sucks for big projects and long term use--the brushes are almost guaranteed to burn out half way through my job.-
ColinK

CNC Machine: "Book" Machine

Re: What Is A Good 1/8 Inch Collet Or Spindle?

Postby ColinK » Sun May 29, 2016 6:23 am

Found one!

The magic words are "reducing sleeve" and the product is at Rockler -- http://www.rockler.com/1-4-in-to-1-8-in-collet-reducer

When mine arrives I will post a report about what I think of it in use.
ColinK

Re: What Is A Good 1/8 Inch Collet Or Spindle?

Postby ColinK » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:00 am

Okay, the two reducing sleeves I ordered arrived quickly, in about a week.

The sleeve has a good, tight fit on the Roland long 1/8" shaft extended 1/16" cutter that I used for my test.

There seems to be a step or a taper at the nominal "bottom" of the reducing sleeve so that a 1/8" shaft stops about 1/8" before reaching the end of the sleeve.

I'm happy with that as it probably means that in addition to the grip of the chuck transmitted through the sleeve to the endmill there is also that step holding the shaft from being pushed inside my router by pressure against my work.

The endmill and reducing sleeve combination seems to be well centered--I don't notice any vibration like I've seen in previous experience with off center bits, and the cutting is as clean as I've come to expect from my machine.

The small projects I'm currently creating are perfect for this tool and sleeve combination. I can cut small text sections about 0.10" deep in one pass with the tiny cutter and then make several deeper passes around the text to cut it 0.36" deep and remove the part from my soft pine sheet.
ColinK

Return to DIY 3D Printing