Text Size

New Site

Re: New Site

Postby robd » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:38 pm

Patrick .... DUDE, YOU ROCK!!! :!: Thank you so much for all your efforts and development work that you have made so easily available and affordable to us weenies that always wanted our own toys at home to play with! :D
P.S. Tell the "better-half" that your time away from them is sooo much appreciated and it WILL pay off big time!
robd

CNC Machine: None

Postby PHoodDaniel » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:23 pm

barskey wrote:Is there a reason they are not here in the new site? Will there be new sub-sections or categories?

It was nice to be able to browse more specific topics, rather than the three broad topics that are no in "Community Discussion".

If there are sub categories that make sense, I'm all for it. Awesomeness has a good point with when the numbers get high enough, it will be further categorized.

Keep in mind, and please suggest, that "people's builds" will be in a place all their own and will be maintained. This can also happen to other very popular ideas as well. If there is a topic you would like to see formalized onto the site, let me know.
PHoodDaniel

Postby PHoodDaniel » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:45 pm

robd wrote:Patrick .... DUDE, YOU ROCK!!! :!: Thank you so much for all your efforts and development work that you have made so easily available and affordable to us weenies that always wanted our own toys at home to play with! :D
P.S. Tell the "better-half" that your time away from them is sooo much appreciated and it WILL pay off big time!

Weenies! I think not!

Thanks. My wife has been a trooper through all of this. Well, maybe not the dust in the bedroom, when I had my machine in there!
PHoodDaniel

Postby Awesomeness » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:26 pm

PHoodDaniel wrote:
barskey wrote:Is there a reason they are not here in the new site? Will there be new sub-sections or categories?

It was nice to be able to browse more specific topics, rather than the three broad topics that are no in "Community Discussion".

If there are sub categories that make sense, I'm all for it. Awesomeness has a good point with when the numbers get high enough, it will be further categorized.

Keep in mind, and please suggest, that "people's builds" will be in a place all their own and will be maintained. This can also happen to other very popular ideas as well. If there is a topic you would like to see formalized onto the site, let me know.

It's interesting to look back now, a year later, and see how the categories have worked out. Here are the current statistics...
BuildYourTools-PostStats-29Apr2011.png

Posting is obviously much heavier in the DIY forum, than any others. Product Support is a close second.

One other thing, that this chart doesn't show but I can see on the back side, is how many attachments and files there are. I know people have asked about a "Plans/DXFs" category before. The number of non-picture attachments continues to be very small, and over 1/3 of them are mine. There might be some "chicken and the egg" in it, where people don't post CAD designs because there isn't a special place for them, but they do not make up more than a statistically trivial contribution to the site currently. There are several hundred picture attachments though.

It will also be interesting to see what happens once we start getting some 3D Printing people around the forums. I'm excited to find out how the two groups will interact, since traditionally they seem to run in separate circles. That's a shame, since the technologies are highly intermingled.
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby PHoodDaniel » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:13 pm

I agree. We definitely need a resources area that is dedicated to sharing files. I remember Keith bringing that up a while ago. Since you mention product support, there can be a page dedicated to the frequently asked questions and answers for quick perusal.
PHoodDaniel

Гостиница в старинном особняке

Postby AliceFomma » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:55 am

Отель рядом с Красной Площадью
AliceFomma

CNC Machine: BlackTooth

Previous

Return to News & Announcements