Text Size

Pick and Place Machine

Re: Pick and Place Machine

Postby MachiningBob » Thu May 12, 2011 8:04 pm

This looks way cool. You are right to be concerned about the on and off action on the pump. If you look at the DIY vacuum table people...they use a makeshift valve...seems like a racket ball with a string through it that they can pull off or pop back in to bleed off air or not. I'm sure something with smaller tubing could be retrofitted to use say a $15 servo which needs to quickly open and close the valve...maybe something as simple as the armature moves a pin away from or close to an open hole in the vacuum line.

You know? Use an MSP430 LaunchPad ($4.30) for your PWM and have it listen for output from the BoB....or...OR... attach the launchpad to two limit switches ($6)...that as the Z goes down the limit switch closes and it opens the valve and releases the component. You'll need another limit switch that is activated when the X axis travels to the component trays to turn the pump back on/close the valve and also so that it ignores the Z limit switch and sucks the part. $25 worth of parts? Maybe? And a very simple 430 program...

As for pump I was kind of thinking along the lines of a shop vac system with part of the suck going towards a vacuum table to hold the work/pcb down, using some of the left over suck to facilitate the pick and placer vacuum. I say this because I already own a shop vac...and I think it has suck to spare. Probably need a bleeder valve/opening so the pump doesn't over heat.
Book Machine / BobCAD-CAM v24 / EMC2
3 Axis Keling 425 oz-in on 4042D drivers
CNC4PC C35 BoB
MachiningBob

CNC Machine: "Book" Machine

Postby PHoodDaniel » Fri May 13, 2011 3:28 am

This got me thinking. I have a Walmart timer based valve for watering the yard. I'm sure it uses a solenoid and I'm sure I can tinker with it to work with air. It's good too, because the inlet of the hose is leaking anyway. If this doesn't work, I will investigate those methods.
PHoodDaniel

Postby PHoodDaniel » Fri May 13, 2011 3:31 am

This item looks promising: http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=4-16438&catname=.

All I would need is a relay. I have a bunch of those in stock anyway.
PHoodDaniel

Postby kevinl » Tue May 17, 2011 2:53 pm

Patrick,
i've always been on the repair side of circuit board but have etch a few with thru hole.. i know the few surface mount board i've worked on had glue under the component to hold if in place til the circuit board was waved solder..
two question for you..
on this pick & place machine any ideas on how to hold the component inplace til solder..
second question is about controling where the component is pick up from and how to place the next same type component from the tape's new pick point reference, are you looking at having the software to offset for each new component location or have a stepper to move each componemt tape after the component it retreived from the tape.

i dont know if i will get into assembly line board production but it seems that more of my electronic project involve surface mounted components..
kevinl

CNC Machine: Custom

Postby swapnil147 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:43 pm

Thanks for the information about Pick and Place Machine.....What is the latest version of Pick and Place Machine???? And how much it cost to buy?????
REMOVED
swapnil147

CNC Machine: None

Postby josheeg » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:59 am

I seen lazor cut cnc designs like MB and other "open designs" now I put that in quotes because their is no robot fabricator that can spit out that parts list to test. Or a reliable source to trust.

Could a fabable design from lazor or cnc mill or 3d print and purchaseable item numbers be assembled without hand fabrication.
Maby out of acrilic delrin etc.

The reason is sharing it by pictures or videos is good but a open format like freecad would allow the pick and place system with a deposition head shown to build other cnc machines equipment.

It would allow many people to work on designs together and get to a end gadget quicker.

A small desktop pnp for something smaller than a page would be fine the ant is large.
josheeg

Postby josheeg » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:08 am

maby high level design from low torq low strength plastic or delrin slides etc.
Like say if a list of components and alternative names in a table then a spread sheet of thowse high level assemblies were price sorted for a pick n place.
That would allow for part numbers and repeatability in design easly.
Maby even a design made with freecad and purchaseable fabbed parts from other machines and high level assemblies to have a low total price kit in comparison to purchaseable pick n place machines. :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:
josheeg

Previous

Return to Research & Development