Text Size

blueChick Desktop CNC Machine

Postby PHoodDaniel » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:32 am

The blueChick is the newest CNC machine kit to be available on the buildyourcnc.com website. Post any discussion and ideas.

PHoodDaniel

Postby munchymonster » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:05 pm

I've been readng your site for some time now and I've been impressed with the machines. Are there any plans to upgrade the blueChick design to incorporate the single motor x axis design from the blackToe 4.0?

munchymonster

Postby PHoodDaniel » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:11 pm

Thanks Kees,

Also, I will be changing the x-axis motor location to the gantry rather than the underside of the table so the table can have any underside structure and the table can be almost any length.

PHoodDaniel

Re: blueChick Desktop CNC Machine

Postby nikki1492 » Fri May 14, 2010 7:12 pm

PHoodDaniel wrote:Thanks Kees,Also, I will be changing the x-axis motor location to the gantry rather than the underside of the table so the table can have any underside structure and the table can be almost any length.

Patrick,
Will this change be adaptable to the 12X24 model I am currently constructing? It would be great if that could be done. I'm creating a mental list of projects based on the current machine capable measurements. That adaption could add many projects to that list.

Barb
nikki1492

Postby liquidinsect » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Greetings BuildYourTools community!

I purchased the Build Your Own CNC book a few years back and have been looking forward to building my own CNC for a while now. Might I ask a few questions as the blueChick CNC is more along the milling table size that I would prefer to build for my needs?

A little background on uses and purposes:

I had considered for a long time to convert a floor standing drill press that I purchased a few years ago into a milling machine for aluminum parts. After research into whether this was practical or not including the costs and to understand the results to expect from such a machine I was less interested to learn that doing so would most likely render results that would pale in comparison to an actual vertical mill's performance and accuracy. The main reason for this was a possible discrepancy in the accuracy of a compound table to remain aligned with the head of the machine. The other potential problem area is the strength that the side pressure would present to the head or collet or spindle and that could either render damage to the drill press head or spindle, cause errors within the accuracy of milling a part, or it could do both. So, I considered acquiring some kind of Bridgeport vertical mill (if not a Bridgeport). These I found to be fairly expensive considering I would also need to tool them and include the parts necessary to hold the work down accurately. I could purchase used and get a rather decent mill including all of the tools necessary for somewhere in the area of $1,500+(or more). The more I think about what I want the machine to be capable of doing with the parts that I wish to create, I don't think I have the time or patience quite necessary to become a master at manually milling out parts (much less 3d parts in my case) with much repeatability. This is what leans me toward CNC but as we all know this is an expensive subject to even talk about for the most part. After all I don't even know anyone that understands any of the linguistics involved with milling.

What I want to accomplish:

I would like to build my own CNC and feel very confident in accomplishing this with my computer building background (on and off 10+ years building custom computers for individuals and businesses.) I know that I want to be able to use the CNC to be able to mill/create parts out of aluminum with accuracies of up to 0.001" (one-thousandth's of an inch if not possibly more.) I do not believe I will need a milling area larger than the 12"x24" blueChick desktop CNC machine provides. I am not certain that the z-axis travel is enough for what I want to accomplish but initial thoughts lean toward using this machine. I would like to use the limit switches to help align the motors to the cutting area that the table provides. I will most likely be adding a laser to this CNC to indicate the precise point where the cutter is positioned above a part for alignment purposes and for when the cuts are made. Does this CNC offer a means for use of information output like a DRO would display? I would very much like to be able to both automatically run this machine through cutting parts as well as manual detailed control so that I can prototype parts slowly too. Is this all doable and are there any accessory parts that I should use or purchase to make this the most accurate and reliable that I can? I might use the same blueChick Desktop CNC Machine 4.2 to fabricate (most) of the parts that are already MDF into aluminum or some other metal for even more rigidity, accuracy, and reliability if this is necessary. I own a Dremel but not a router. I do not believe a Dremel would be very reliable for what I intend to do but I would like some suggestions for what I want to accomplish. I will most likely only be using this machine for milling aluminum (possibly brass but rarely if at all) with 3-dimensional carving as programmed into Google Sketchup then imported into AutoCAD for cleanup and possible resizing on dimensions and then hopefully importing this into some CAM software (that I have not played with yet) to hopefully automatically help me determine how to program the G-Code or steps necessary to make the parts correctly and without errors.

I'm not sure if I should say what my ideas are for these parts that I want to create but if someone on here e-mail's me I can send some example pictures of what I want to accomplish.

One last note is about an idea that I had for this company - who should I talk to about this idea so that it does not necessarily leak out to other companies to copy the idea? It is something that I want to be able to do with my own CNC and I think that others might want to make this conversion happen to their CNC's also. I have the feeling that it would become a rather popular addition to what this company has already started with. Thanks to anyone that responds or reads this and I hope that I have posted this in the correct area of the forum!

Take care,
Kevin
One may contact me outside of the forum for more specific information here concerning other topics or ideas:
liquidinsect@yahoo.com
liquidinsect

CNC Machine: None

Postby Awesomeness » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:34 am

While I think your ideas are in the realms of possibility, I would categorize them as "a bit of a reach". Some of that is surely because you're unfamiliar with CNC.

In my opinion, if your primary use is aluminum, you really need to stop looking at these low-end DIY CNC, and concede to getting into CNC at a much higher (i.e. expensive) level. These machines will do aluminum, but they are pushing the limits of them, and you will probably not be satisfied with the results (primarily that it will be excruciatingly slow - think along the lines of 50 hours of machining to make something the size of a baseball).

If the BlueChick's build area is around the size you need, you may be better off converting a real vertical milling machine to use CNC control. You should probably expect to spend several thousand dollars to get to a reasonable working point.
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby tazy » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:33 am

I would like to use the limit switches to help align the motors to the cutting area that the table provides. I will most likely be adding a laser to this CNC to indicate the precise point where the cutter is positioned above a part for alignment purposes and for when the cuts are made. Does this CNC offer a means for use of information output like a DRO would display? I would very much like to be able to both automatically run this machine through cutting parts as well as manual detailed control so that I can prototype parts slowly too. Is this all doable and are there any accessory parts that I should use or purchase to make this the most accurate and reliable that I can????? :) ;) ;)
Tazy
tazy

CNC Machine: Other

Return to Research & Development