Text Size

Vacuum Attachment

Vacuum Attachment

Postby george » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:03 pm

Check this out:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc158/spalm_pics/CNC3/Vacuum2.jpg

This CNC vacuums up the chad as it cuts. I think this is a very worthwhile upgrade.

George

george

Vacuum Attachment

Postby keith » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:15 pm

A vacuum attachment for our CNC Routers is, I believe, a necessity! If you take a look at the one that Ariel and Diana have installed on their machine you will see what I think is a very efficient example; at least to look at the video it seems to be efficient. Here is a link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfTXzIYC8BY&feature=related
Perhaps Patrick can persuade them to share their design and drawings with the rest of the forum?

The Titanic was built by professionals; the Ark was built by Amateurs..........
keith

CNC Machine: BlackToe v2 4x8

Vacuum Attachment

Postby george » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:19 am

Here's a good vacuum - it looks like they even used the cnc to create the mold for it.
http://solsylva.com/cnc/vacuum.shtml

george

Vacuum Attachment

Postby PHoodDaniel » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:07 pm

That is close to perfect for a vacuum design. The cool thing about the that design is that it really bypasses the downward forced air from the router.

PHoodDaniel

Re: Vacuum Attachment

Postby keith » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:58 pm

I have just about finished the construction of a 2 stage Dust Seperator system similar in idea to the twin system installed by philipw seen here:

http://www.buildyourtools.com/forums/in ... opic#p1735

I have chosen to try the Thien Dust Separator design seen here:

http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

My BlackToe machine has 3 seperate areas underneath it with the PC & electronics at one end, storage in the middle and I am intending to install the Dust Separator Setup under the other end, or should the Dust Separator be in the middle and the storage at the end?....

I will post some pictures once I have it all done but first I am wondering how anyone else has routed the hosing to their Dust Shoe beneath the Router. Has anyone else solved the problem of having over 10 feet of vacuum hose travelling from one end of the machine to the other?

Clearly that is not going to be the best solution and I am really thinking of having a boom hanging from the wall in the middle of the machine and before I start trying to design something I thought I would ask the forum members how they have solved this problem.

Thanks, Keith
The Titanic was built by professionals; the Ark was built by Amateurs..........
keith

CNC Machine: BlackToe v2 4x8

Postby Ronan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:58 am

I just thought I would throw this out there because this is R&D and I can...I have been thinking about a different method to get the dust and debris gone and I would like some input on what this community thinks, as far as this goes. My brain sees the CNC and thinks air hockey for some reason. I like air hockey, the idea being pretty simple yet ultimately a great use of airflow and engineering marvel.

So, because a vacuum does to things efficiently, sucking and blowing, why not utilize both in a method that you get something out of it. My idea is as follows. This is a rough draft idea so bear with me...

I use a shop vac because I don't have the space or cash to invest in a central vac. My proposed idea would be to change up the way the air flow over the table works so that you get not only negative pressures resulting in vacuum, but positive pressures that result in pushing debris//dust.

My idea is to setup the output from the vacuum system, into a tube which will then be mounted to the table level slot I will cut into the gantry side supports. This slot will not be long enough to take away from the support structure but will allow enough space to hook up the tube converting the pressure into a slotted long duct...then on the other side of the table you would do the same, except you would make this the suck...

My brain may be flawed, but I would see this as creating a positive push from one side, to the negative pull from the other resulting in a "dust river flow" effect.

Now, I know this will need some testing and I am not sure how well the idea would work on deeper machine cuts, HELL, it may result in a dust plume the size of a tornado in Oklahoma, but it is R&D and this may spark something else, if my idea is killed by a duh moment I may be having.

In any case, I think I am going to test some by using some zip tie construction to see how well it moves the dust from blow to suck...Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Ronan

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby benjamin.willhoite » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:04 pm

So Ronan, how did this come out? Did you do your experiment and what was your conclusion?
b.
If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right.
benjamin.willhoite

CNC Machine: "Book" Machine

Return to Research & Development