Text Size

DIY Stencil Cutting Drag Knife Solution - Update 5!

Re: DIY Stencil Cutting Drag Knife Solution - Update 5!

Postby bajaru » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:26 pm

Airknocker - thanks for posting all this in such great detail. I ordered all the parts and some sticky vinyl over the weekend and plan to build your drag knife design as soon as I have everything. I don't even have the capability yet, but I've already got several backorders for custom stickers.

About those Carl Goldberg wheel collars... Is that bag in the picture left over from the '80's?

-Brian
Pa sez: "Keep your flesh away from rapidly spinning metal things."
bajaru

CNC Machine: BlackToe v2 4x8

Postby airnocker » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:36 pm

Brian,

About those Carl Goldberg wheel collars... Is that bag of wheel collars in the picture left over from the '80's?

Well, left over from the mid-90's. I doubt they are 89 cents now. CG doesn't sell them any more but Great Planes does.
airnocker

Everything depends on everything else
airnocker

CNC Machine: Custom

Postby bajaru » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:52 pm

Just a quick note in case this might save someone a trip to the hobby store:
The Du-Bro 3/16" wheel collars require a 13/32" tube not 3/8". Even the 13/32" is an awfully tight fit, requiring a small bit of fine sanding to the outside diameter of the collars to allow easy sliding. I'll let you know if the Boca bearings fit these collars when they arrive.

--9/23/10 Update: The Boca bearings arrived and they do not fit in the Du-Bro wheel collars. The bearings have an OD of .1950" and the collars have an ID of .1905". I thought about getting a .1945 reamer but I'm guessing it would cost way more than simply trying another brand, such as those from Great Planes.

-I'm almost to that point where I wish would have purchased a commercial solution instead of trying to make my own.

-Brian
Last edited by bajaru on Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pa sez: "Keep your flesh away from rapidly spinning metal things."
bajaru

CNC Machine: BlackToe v2 4x8

Postby airnocker » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:06 pm

Good catch, Brian. My very old CG 3/16 steel collars have an 11/32" OD. I also noted that the Dubro or Great Planes 3/16" collars are brass with chrome plating so maybe you could also let us know if the magnet attracts to the chrome sufficiently.

Since the first collar doesn't need to "slide", if it can be pressed snugly into the end that would work as well.

Keep us updated on anything else you find.
airnocker

airnocker

Postby dukeronomy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:14 am

i can not find a collar stop that will fit inside 3/8" tubing with the 3/16" ID its killing me. ive got all the other parts
dukeronomy

CNC Machine: Other

Postby airnocker » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:31 am

My apologies for not trusting email notices from this forum (as so many of them have been fake).

I'll need to read my original post again for the collar stop. brb

OK, I refreshed my memory.

i can not find a collar stop that will fit inside 3/8" tubing with the 3/16" ID its killing me. ive got all the other parts

Did you get the collars from Dubro? https://dubro.com/collections/collars/products/nickel-plated-dura-collars?variant=27880685319

I can believe that after all these years they may have changed the O.D. (outside dimension), did they? Can you gives us some photos and dimensions of your brass tube's I.D. (inside dimension) and the brand of collars you've tried?
airnocker

airnocker

Previous

Return to DIY