Text Size

Blackfoot 4x8 Calibrating the machine

Blackfoot 4x8 Calibrating the machine

Postby surfsailor » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:13 pm

Hello All ,
I have a Blackfoot 4x8 CNC. Just replaced the rigid coupling 1/4 to 1/2" Delrin/plastic on my X-axis motor Nema 34 651 . With machine off ,I've manually set the gantry to midway (measurement)on table then tightened the chains either side with the coupling loose on the 1/2" motor shaft & 1/4" roller shaft .I then tightened the chains until they felt like snug but not super tight .I'm sure I don't have them both set to exact same tension. But for somewhat of repeatability sake , I used a fishing spring scale to 2lbs on each chain. Is there a better way to do this. I use Mach 3 to set steps accuracy after mechanics are done.
Any recommendations what I need to lookout for on the Z Axis mechanical setup besides loose screws etc. to ensure all is well?
On my Z axis I measure piece of MDF with calipers and then use Mach 3 to calibrate Z to the MDF Thickness. Working on writing a standard inspection list of what we need to inspect/check before each use of the machine so as to ensure mechanics won't screw up a job . That way I won't have to remember anything as I have it written down on a laminated card for quick reference.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Andy
surfsailor

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Re: Blackfoot 4x8 Calibrating the machine

Postby surfsailor » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:18 pm

Been a while since I had the Z axis off of The gantry for general maintenance tightening.I CAN SEE the space between bolt head and gantry face to put in either a large phillips or flathead so the bolt won't spin during tightening is very tight .Any special tool for this? can't seem to find / remember what I originally used to tighten these with.Need some bigger fender washers as the wood is starting to deform a little.
Any ideas ?

Thanks

A
surfsailor

Postby Awesomeness » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:56 am

What I did was take a Dremel with a cut-off wheel and put a screwdriver slot in the threaded end of the bolt. That way you can hold it in position with a screwdriver, and tighten the nut with a wrench, all from the exposed side.
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

Postby surfsailor » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:44 pm

Wow! Simple easy and quick . That idea never crossed my mind. In other tight spaces I put a large Phillips head bit into a vice grips and held bolt head that way but could not reach all the bolt heads with this method .

Thanks Awesomeness as I learned something new today and any day that happens is a GOOD day!

Cheers

Andy
surfsailor

Return to DIY