Text Size

Cyclone dust seperation

Cyclone dust seperation

Postby Huzzah » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:54 pm

Any thoughts on this:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-Gallon-Dust-Collection-Cyclone-Separator/G6102

vs

http://store.oneida-air.com/dust-deputy-diy.aspx

The Oneida looks like a more impressive system, I'm just wondering if it's better enough to justify the cost difference?
Huzzah

Re: Cyclone dust seperation

Postby SplinterPuller » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:34 pm

I've read on a few woodworking forums that the Dust Deputy does a better job on fines like sanding dust.
SplinterPuller

CNC Machine: None

Postby Huzzah » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:59 pm

I certainly want as thorough of a dust control system as I can get. Just the dust created by drilling all of these holes is irratating my throat. Looks like I might have to order the Dust Deputy soon!

Thanks,
Steve
Huzzah

Postby PHoodDaniel » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:21 pm

This is a total guess, but I would suspect that they both work effectively as they are both considered cyclones. The grizzly product seems to have a smaller cyclone attachment, but I don't know how far it goes into the provided bucket (assuming that the bucket itself does not product the cyclone effect). The dust deputy, on the other hand, is noticeably larger and has that conical shape so evident in all these types of systems. I would say the plus goes to the dust deputy only in that it shows the function in it's shape and you can pick the bucket size (which is a huge plus in my book). I still wonder how well these systems work with the fine particles.
PHoodDaniel

Postby Huzzah » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:35 pm

I will be ordering the Dust Deputy soon, I should just order it now. My dust control has to be a shop vac for now so I'll invite anything that can help keep the dust out of my lungs. I hope to be making sawdust by next weekend so I need to get this on it's way.
Huzzah

Postby jeff » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:52 pm

I have the dust deputy and it works great. I ordered the cyclone only and used a small shop vac from Lowes and a five gallon bucket. Its been 6 months and I still have the original filter on the Shop vac. I wouldnt dream of running a CNC without it. Especially when cutting mdf.
jeff

CNC Machine: RedFrog

Postby gene8522 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:21 pm

PHoodDaniel wrote: I would say the plus goes to the dust deputy only in that it shows the function in it's shape and you can pick the bucket size (which is a huge plus in my book). I still wonder how well these systems work with the fine particles.

I have a cyclone system in my (HOME)woodworking shop and it works great. There is a large cloth bag that take the small dust out, but most of it will go in the bucket. I haven't tried it around the Blacktoe 4.0 maybe later.......
gene8522

CNC Machine: BlackToe v4 2x4

Postby lonetreecreations » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:54 pm

Awesomeness runs a dust deputy on his table with a 5 gallon bucket. I was amazed
at how clean the vac filter stayed after cutting a full sheet of plywood.
I will have to set up my vacuum system that way when I get to that point.
Right now, I'm just cleaning up with the shop vac by itself and knocking
off the filter every time.
Lone Tree Creations
Fort Collins, CO
Blackfoot v4.1 4'x4' with external X shaft supports
XBOX 360 wired controller for X,Y,Z and other functions
425oz Xylotex stepper motors
Wantai Motors 50V/4.2A/128 Micro hybrid stepper drivers & B.O.B.
36vdc & 5vdc regulated power supplies
BobCAD-CAM-ART v.23
Vectric VCarve Pro, PhotoVCarve, Aspire
Artcam Pro 2008
Mach 3
lonetreecreations

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby airnocker » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:52 pm

See my impromptu video on my Dust Deputy. It works great and two in tandem work greater. With one, a very, very small amount of fine dust reaches the shop vac filter whether cutting plywood or MDF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D796aO5HCo
airnocker

Everything depends on everything else
airnocker

CNC Machine: Custom

Next

Return to DIY