Text Size

Cyclone dust seperation

Re: Cyclone dust seperation

Postby Huzzah » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:18 pm

Great video, thanks!
Huzzah

Postby Nate1778 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:46 pm

The cyclone tops are about 80% effective from what I have read. They are really designed to keep large wood chips out of the impeller of a dust collector. It also reduces the amount of times you have to take the Dust collector filter bag off and anybody that has dealt with one of those can verify its a PITA. An actual cyclone (i.e. Dust Deputy) are designed to collect 99.7% of all debris including fine particulate which is the majority of what we deal with. I think if you bought the cyclone "lid" you would be disappointed as the small dust will still clog filters.
Nate1778

CNC Machine: RedFrog

Postby Huzzah » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:13 pm

Is it safe to assume that the Dust Deputy does not have to be centered on the bucket lid? I'm assuming all that really matters is that it's an air tight seal? I have a left over paint bucket that I was hoping to use and the lid has a pouring spout.
Huzzah

Postby Awesomeness » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:32 pm

Yeah, it should work.
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby servant74 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:54 am

The dust deputy is a great small commercial version. If you want a better (and larger) version check out http://www.ClearVueCyclones.com for a plastic version of the Bill Pentz design. Bill's design ( http://www.billpentz.com ) is the real 'standard for safe shop air cleaning'. Bill recommends, and ClearVue sells filters for the 'backend' too (otherwise it is best to dump the air with the really fine particles outside ... read Bill's site to understand why.)

Bill is a long time wood worker that has gotten health issues related to wood dust. He has spent a LOT of time and money of his own doing research to help others. He has all the details you need to design your own correctly, if you don't like his 'pre-designed' version. FYI: You really need excel to do his spreadsheets. Googleapps spreadsheet doesn't quite cut it (darn it!) for this spreadsheet.

Another is Phil Thien's Separator Lid: http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

Phil's design is as cheap and simple as you can get. ... I will not even assume to compare it to the Bill Pentz design, but it has some good qualities and seems to be comparable to the Dust Deputy. You can build it for your trash can, 5 gal bucket, or barrel easily.

FYI, the Dust Deputy folks sent a nasty lawyer letter (cease and desist order) to Clear View Cyclones and they stopped production of their 'mini-cyclone' because they don't have the $$$ to stand up to the big company (Onida ... Yea, I think I would rather do something else than buy their product, but that is my 'richous indignation' showing. I don't mind if they really had a legal leg to stand on, but it was just a small version of their big cyclones. ... I would have rather had the market to decide rather than them stopping the little guy just because they can .. grumble, whine, grumble)
If at first you don't succeed, think about scratching parachute jumping off your bucket list.
servant74

CNC Machine: None

Postby Awesomeness » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:58 am

It looks like an interesting design, but come on. Talk about diminishing returns. That cyclone body alone costs $500! I could literally chain a dozen Dust Deputies for that price. I'd love to see the results of a test between one of those and 10 Dust Deputies.

It's for a 6" hose. I think it's hard to compare these two things at all in the end. It's like comparing a shovel to a garden trowel. Two completely different sized tools, for two different sized tasks.

I can tell you that my Dust Deputy gets enough of the dust out of the airstream that I can probably knock a couple teaspoons of dust out of the ShopVac's filter, only after I've dumped 10-20 GALLONS of dust out of the Dust Deputy bucker (a few 5 gallon buckets full). I consider all my dust collection problems solved, personally, by the $50 Dust Deputy.

servant74 wrote:but that is my 'richous indignation' showing.

"Righteous"? This is just a pet peeve of mine, but I just can't take someone seriously that so horribly misspells words. Either look it up, or choose another word you can spell. If you're not willing to look up the spelling, how can I take you seriously that you were willing to look up the facts of your other opinions/claims? And really, it's the 21st century, most of the browsers now underline misspelled words, so all you really have to do is update your software. :roll:
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby bajaru » Tue May 03, 2011 5:19 am

I thought I'd build a Thien Baffle Separator and try it out. My main concern is that my shop vac isn't macho enough for the size I've built, along with several other questions, so I thought I'd just jump in and work on changes and improvements once it's built.

Here's the first installment in my Thien Baffle Separator (TBS) mini-series. I hope to complete it within the next week or so. I designed everything in CamBam. If anyone is interested, I can post the CamBam or G-Code files a little later.:

Most of the material is 5/8" MDF.

Here's the bottom section, showing what will end up being inside of the TBS. The large 3/4 circular slotted opening is where the chips will fall. You can just barely see the 1/4" groove I made for the hardboard in the next step. I made it 1/4" instead of 1/8" to allow for slop in my building process, but after I got it all together, I realized I really should have made it 1/8":

The sides of the TBS. I used 1/8" hardboard, inside two rings of MDF to hold the shape and lend support. This shot was taken before gluing up the sides, because I'm still fine tuning things, but I think you'll get the idea.

This is the top of the TBS, showing the inside portion. The edges look bad because I cut the pieces out a little too shallow on the machine and had to free the pieces from the material with a box cutter by hand. I'll clean them up before final assembly. I used that size bolts because that's what I had on hand.

This is the top of the TBS, showing the outside. The hole in the center is where the shop vac will plug into, or in other words, where the flow of air will exit the TBS, hopefully without any material, just pure air. This exit port looks too small to my eye.:

Why did I make my TBS the size that I did? --Because that's what size trash can I had. Maybe it's too big for my shop vac, I'll see. The guys on other sites are running big ol' 5 horsepower motors with big ol' impellers custom made in secret labs by NASA running with 4-6" ports, but I can't afford that, so I'm going with what I already have - an 11 year old shop vac with 2.25" ports and 4.5 claimed horsepower when it was new. If it doesn't work, I'll save up for something better or refine/scale down this design. The MDF ring inside the can will be affixed to the bottom of my TBS to aid in its alignment on top of the can. I read somewhere that having a plastic or cardboard chip container provides an excellent source for a possible shop fire, so I was quite happy I had a metal 20 gallan one available. Sorry for the bad picture quality, I don't know what happened here.

And here's a couple pics of the assembled unit so far. I haven't worked out exactly how I'll make the intake portion quite yet, but I imagine it'll end up pretty much how you'd expect a shop vac hose to attach to the side of a hat box type thing.
These two pictures show the unit upside-down and the last one is right-side-up.
My wife said it looks like a birthday cake and that I should paint it accordingly. I probably won't do that.

If anyone has suggestions for me at this point in this build, let me know.

---More to come.

-Brian
bajaru

CNC Machine: BlackToe v2 4x8

Postby Harry-o » Tue May 03, 2011 10:37 am

Hi Huzzah Go to this WWW.billpenz.com Much research on dust collection, and design.
Harry-o

Postby Beermkr » Tue May 03, 2011 12:42 pm

I feel like you are missing one of the openings on the top. The TBS has a angled opening that runs right along the side of the baffle. Are you saying you are going to run it through the side of the can?

R/
Mike Pensinger
Chief Brewer, Holston River Brewing Company
Bristol, TN
Beermkr

CNC Machine: Custom

Postby bajaru » Tue May 03, 2011 1:29 pm

Yep, the other port will go out the side, like this one:
http://www.freeforum101.com/charlesneil ... harlesneil

I got much inspiration from that link, which shows much more complete steps than what I did, along with some videos.

-B
bajaru

CNC Machine: BlackToe v2 4x8

PreviousNext

Return to DIY