Text Size

Cyclone dust seperation

Re: Cyclone dust seperation

Postby Awesomeness » Tue May 03, 2011 3:54 pm

bajaru wrote:Yep, the other port will go out the side, like this one:
http://www.freeforum101.com/charlesneil ... harlesneil

I got much inspiration from that link, which shows much more complete steps than what I did, along with some videos.

-B

Poor guy needs a CNC machine. Look at that compass jig he had to waste time making. Yuck. :o
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby MachiningBob » Tue May 03, 2011 6:35 pm

Awesomeness wrote:
bajaru wrote:Yep, the other port will go out the side, like this one:
http://www.freeforum101.com/charlesneil ... harlesneil

I got much inspiration from that link, which shows much more complete steps than what I did, along with some videos.

-B

Poor guy needs a CNC machine. Look at that compass jig he had to waste time making. Yuck. :o

Heh. No doubt it's slick and effective...but yeah...kind of old school.

Soon we'll be hearing...back in my day we didn't have variable speed routers attached to computer controlled stepper motor drive trains. We had to make circles the old fashioned way...and we liked it.

What? You had variable speed routers...all we had was a swiss army knife and we whittled away our circles and we had to wait for the reflection of a full moon in a water puddle for a reference point of what a circle looked like and sometimes it didn't rain...so we had to wait a while...
Book Machine / BobCAD-CAM v24 / EMC2
3 Axis Keling 425 oz-in on 4042D drivers
CNC4PC C35 BoB
MachiningBob

CNC Machine: "Book" Machine

Postby capnchunk » Wed May 18, 2011 10:37 pm

Bought the dust deputy - changed my life. I put it before my shop vac with standard bag and fine filter and the air difference is amazing. 10 gal of dust cleanup later and the bag has almost nothing in it and the filter is still a nice clean white. Simply amazing.
capnchunk

Postby John » Thu May 19, 2011 3:32 am

Just out of curiosity, what size dust deputy and what sort of vacuum are you using?

I've got a low end, 680CFM dust extractor and was advised the small dust deputy wouldn't be as effective as advertised, particularly with fine-particulate dust.

Of course, it takes a fair bit of effort to fill the bag, so capacity wise I wasn't worried. More of a health issue.

John
John

Postby capnchunk » Thu May 19, 2011 11:46 am

I guess you'd call it the "regular" dust deputy - strapped on top of a 5 gallon bucket and fed by a 2" hose to a 10 gallon 4 hp shopvac - the Lowe's $50 special. It works amazingly well on fine particles. I forgot to dial back down my router before doing some quick tests on some plywood and I could probably make my own MDF boards out of the dust - and it all just fell into the bucket. The dust deputy does a great job of pulling dust and bits out of the vacuum, but depending on your dust containment/collection on the router itself I'd still run the dust extractor. After I added a dust shield, my garage lost the haze - but this just saves me on swapping bags and filters. Since most of the fine dust and bits are dropped out of the stream before they hit the shopvac, I went to a finer filter and regular bags and the air is very clean out the exhaust. After reading that guy's story about getting nasal cancer after years of wood working and living in dust, I decided it was time to do something about the dust.
capnchunk

Postby Awesomeness » Thu May 19, 2011 2:49 pm

For anyone interested, here is the website for Oneida, the maker of the Dust Deputy and its larger cousins: http://store.oneida-air.com/
Awesomeness

Postby capnchunk » Fri May 20, 2011 2:20 am

Awesomeness - what shop vac are you running? Mine is dying from getting clogged up from before the dust deputy.
capnchunk

Postby Awesomeness » Fri May 20, 2011 2:26 am

I'm just using a Craftsman 16 gallon vacuum.
Awesomeness

Postby keith » Fri May 20, 2011 6:30 am

Dust is a menace and I wear a mask when I am cutting and cleaning up after.

If I had had enough space I would have built the same setup as built by philipw; see his post on his setup:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=703&p=1735&hilit=oneida#p1735

However as I don't very much space in my garage so I decided what ever I used must be installed under my table; (the Oneida cyclone units would have been too tall to fit under the table), so I went for the Thein Cyclone Dust Separator system;

http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

I have built a 3 stage Thein Cyclone system to collect my dust; it consists of a Vacuum Cleaner as stage 1 and then 2 connected buckets with Thein Cyclone Dust separators installed to catch the dust, the same type of system philipw built using Oneida cyclones units. The bucket closest to the router picks up almost all of the dust! Then what little dust that is not trapped in the first bucket is sucked into the second bucket where almost all of it is trapped. Finally what the vacuum cleaner it self gets at the end of the process is so small that I don’t think I will ever have to buy another filter.

I still need to perfect the design of my dust shoe to catch all the dust at the tool head however I am working on it.

Currently I am working on the boom section of the vacuum pipes to reach over the table to follow the router as it travels the full area of my 4ft X 8ft table. When it is finished I will take pics and maybe a short video.
Last edited by keith on Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Titanic was built by professionals; the Ark was built by Amateurs..........
keith

CNC Machine: BlackToe v2 4x8

Postby bajaru » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:36 am

I just completed my Thien dust collector and tested it. I am impressed with the results. Without actually measuring the sawdust ahead of time, I cleaned out the vac as best I could, then I vac'd up a grocery bag full of sawdust, which created a much higher debris flow rate than would occur naturally. At the end of the almost nearly scientific test, there was < a hand full of very fine saw dust in the vac's bin, and the rest was right it should be - in the metal can. I'm just taking a wild guess, but I'd say the dust collector collected 97.7% of the sawdust in the grocery bag. But definitely, the results I've gotten so far are significant and I still have another thing to try before I call this a complete test. Maybe the solution to capture even more that super fine dust is to make another unit and run them in series, as suggested above, but for now I'm pretty happy with the progress.

-Brian
bajaru

CNC Machine: BlackToe v2 4x8

PreviousNext

Return to DIY