Text Size

Book Build Machine - Scotland

Book Build Machine - Scotland

Postby phill fenton » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi

I am new to all this but have to say what a great book and website. I am now part way through the build of my own CNC machine based very closely on the book design.

I am a sign maker and intend to use the CNC Machine to router out flat cut lettering and also to carve 3d signs and logos.

This first picture was the completed carcass. I decided to clothe the machine using a combination of aluminium composite material and vinyl wrapping.

Front view

Rear view

As you can see, the machine is still minus it's motors and electronics but I am about to order these components through the website.

I have installed mach3 on my PC and have been tinkering with the software to get a feel for how it all works.

Very excited about the whole project and delighted at how easy it all has gone together so far. Thank you James and Patrick for putting all this "know how" into your book and website.

I'll update this thread as the build progresses.

Meanwhile - here's a link to a video of me testing the X Y and z axis motion using a hand held power drill to turn the lead screws
http://www.isigntube.com/player/vPlayer ... d56260243a
phill fenton

CNC Machine: "Book" Machine

Re: Book Build Machine - Scotland

Postby Awesomeness » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:08 pm

Very nice
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby bret » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:28 am

Hi Phill Fenton,
Now don't go and scratch that. :)

Bret
bret

Postby phill fenton » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:47 pm

I've ordered the motors and electronics from the buildyourcnc.com site and I am waiting for them to arrive from America.

Meanwhile I have been testing the operation of the axis with a router bolted into place and turning each lead screw by hand to do some test cuts into plastic and MDF

Very pleased with the way it cuts. Nice and neat and straight

I've rigged up a dust extraction system which works quite well but there is still a lot of swarf produced. Also the machine is quite noisy with the combination of the vacuum cleaner and the router running.

Also been playing around with Mach3 - it's now installed on a PC and ready to go. Can't wait to get my hands on the drive motors and electronics to get the machine working properly
phill fenton

Postby edoctoor » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:51 am

What is the coating that you have on it... she is so pretty ;-)
If you have the right information and enough time; you too, can impress your dad.
edoctoor

CNC Machine: None

Postby phill fenton » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:26 pm

The machine is clad using composite aluminium material which is used a lot in sign making. (Google "Dibond" for more information.) In other areas it has been wrapped using vinyl (same principle as a vehicle wrap).
phill fenton

Postby krugshouse » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:21 am

Phill
I am also building a machine from the book although mine doesnt look as good as yours. I used cabinet grade plywood, so maybe I will stain mine in English Chestnut when I am done. Let me offer you a project for when you have completed your machine.
Attachments
P301_Spitfire_Flat_2+.zip
(123.07 KiB) Downloaded 592 times
Safe machining
krugshouse

Postby phill fenton » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:09 pm

Thanks for the spitfire file Krugshouse...unfortunately I think it's going to be too big for my machine (I reckon the wingspan is 8M).

I had a breakthrough day today as my motion electronics all arived on Friday and I spent part of yesterday and today wiring everything up.

I ended today with succesfully jogging each motor backwards and forwards using the arrow and pgup/pgdn keys on my PC.

This was with the motors lying loose on the workbench. next step is to mount them to the machine then I can start to carry out some proper testing
phill fenton

Postby Awesomeness » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:16 pm

phill fenton wrote:Thanks for the spitfire file Krugshouse...unfortunately I think it's going to be too big for my machine (I reckon the wingspan is 8M).

You're probably loading it in inches, and it was saved in millimeters. That would make it 25.4x bigger than intended. Either way, vector graphics are completely scalable, with no loss of quality, so feel free to just scale it down.
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

Postby phill fenton » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:02 am

Ah - that would make sense. Thanks for the advice.

Meanwhile I have finished installing all of the motion electronics and have been testing the machine this evening. here is a video of the first ever computer controlled test cut.

http://www.isigntube.com/video/485/Test-CNC-Router-cut
phill fenton

Next

Return to DIY