Text Size

Book machine is working, with ISSUES

Book machine is working, with ISSUES

Postby benjamin.willhoite » Thu May 02, 2013 2:02 pm

Hey all,
I am getting some reversal of direction on my Z axis while cutting a mount for my router. Twice, when the router was to do a rapid move, instead of rising two inches it plunged through the MDF table. Also, just prior to this happening, the Z-axis stopped advancing reliably while cutting. Tomorrow, I will trace the lines from the breakout to and PSU through the controller and to the motor. I am guessing the problem is with the direction line crossing one of the other lines.
Also, with the 425 oz-in motors on the book build, what kind of rapid movement speeds has anybody seen? I am struggling to get 30 ipm on X and Y. That's movement, not cutting.
So far the cut-out tool I had intended to use has burned out while making a vacuum foot, and the motors have gone wild while trying to finish the first machine-made part. I understand how convenient having a CNC router must be when fabricating a CNC router.

Anyway, as requested, I have included a short video of my book router doing some of the cutting for the new router mount.
Attachments

Router Movie One.wmv [ 9.85 MiB | Viewed 3060 times ]

If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right.
benjamin.willhoite

CNC Machine: "Book" Machine

Re: Book machine is working, with ISSUES

Postby kevinl » Thu May 02, 2013 2:22 pm

this may help to troubleshoot the problem, under pins/ports change the "low active" setting for the z axis "direction pin" then change or flip one pair of wires at the motor or driver for one phase.. my thinking is if a noise problem it should now fail in the up direction, not down.. a down direction would make me think binding...
also i not sure at the moment but you may also be able to change/toggle the "reverse" option for the z axis under "homing/limits" and not have to change the wiring to offset the pin/port change..
kevinl

CNC Machine: Custom

Postby benjamin.willhoite » Mon May 06, 2013 2:45 pm

Hey Y'all,
I had answered the responses that I got on this post, but forgot that it had been a while since I logged in. As a result the entire message got erased when I tried to post it and it shunted me back to the login screen. When I got back to my post it was gone. And so it goes...

I got the direction problem worked out. I had stripped one of the 4 motor drive wires from the controller on Z too close and cut it. It didn't give until the router had moved quite a bit. Also one of the crossover wires on the controller from terminals 1 to 3 (from the bottom) had been tightened down onto the insulation and had slipped loose. Now Z is fine.

What I am getting now is a log of sag in the table. I have the double thick MDF table, which I think needs to be quickly replaced with a torsion box. Anybody got a plan already worked out? I have a bunch of plywood that would be perfect for the job. I have been doing some engraving with an art nouveau print I want to send to my Mom for mother's day. When the router gets to the middle of the table it is no longer touching the stock. Since the router rides on the edge of the table, it should remain in contact, no? Unless the Y-axis is severely canted (and it showed within .1 degrees at assembly) then it must be sag in the table, right?

I appreciate your replies.
b.
benjamin.willhoite

Postby phill fenton » Mon May 06, 2013 5:53 pm

I eliminated the sag in my machine by adding a truss rod. See here (scroll down about halfway through the page):-
http://www.buildyourtools.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2072&start=30
phill fenton

Postby benjamin.willhoite » Mon May 06, 2013 6:59 pm

Do you think that would help if it is already "curvy"?
benjamin.willhoite

Postby CraigHB » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:13 pm

Hey Ben,
Have you figured out how to fix the table sag issue yet? Did you incorporate PHil's Truss rod method? Please let me know as I am facing the same issue. I have another idea, but wanted to hear if this fix worked or not.
Thanks, Craig
CraigHB

To be, or not to be (a maker.) (with whining.)

Postby benjamin.willhoite » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:14 pm

Hey,
I am really hoping for a pep talk.
It has been a while. I am sorry I dropped off like that. I used the machine to make a set of the offset gantry sides that I got here in the forum, and it worked reasonably well for a while. At the time I had no dust control at all, and it quickly covered my whole shop in fine dust. In August, after this post, there was an accident with the double garage overhead door-- one of the torsion spring locking rings gave way and locked the door halfway up/down. We were packed for a two week camping even with a full car, truck, and trailer-- we had to go. I cut the wire on the other side and the door dropped without incident. Long story short there was then no way to get dust out of the shop and it piled up and gummed all the axes. I had just received a new porter cable 892 and a bunch of good material. In the interim period the controller machine had a minecraft server run on it for my son, but finally crashed with memory issues. Once winter set in it was impossible to work after dark without burning a ton of firewood in the unsafe barrel stove that was right next to the only exit. This last year passed at a blur without me spending one day in my shop. Now it is winter again.
I made the decision that I have to get this machine working again. I have too much blood/sweat/tears invested and it does, in fact, work. Also, I rigged up a 55 gal drum cyclone dust collector.
I must endeavor to persevere! My goal has always been to use a book machine to improve itself to the point that it can help build a hybrid ply/extruded alloy router. I even have piles of parts- 30 something matching v-groove bearings, #25 chain, drive sprockets, idler sprockets, limit switches, nema 34 motors with matching controllers, v-con cold rolled rails, clamps, and extrusion for 2 8' siderails, 24"x24"x1/4" aluminum plates, many sizes of uhmw/polycarb/lexan sheet scrap, four sheets of good oak cabinet plywood, and a computer with a mach3 license. How can I have all this stuff and not have completed a new router? I am moving a thousand miles in six months. If this machine is not working I am pretty sure it will not be allocated space in the new place. I guess the race is on.
benjamin.willhoite

Postby kevinl » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:52 pm

don't know that I can help with the pep talk.. i'll just say I'm in the same boat trying to enlarge/update with the next stage machine.. I don't totally struggle with motivation on mine.. it's mainly seem to relate to no projects or income for the revised machine.. I wish for a request of things to do with the machine.. I love watching the machine work or crave.. it's just hard to feed it wood when it does not feed it's (generate income)..

your like me, just need a paying request and I'd finish in two weeks or less..
kevinl

Return to DIY