Text Size

Rob3662's Blacktoe clone

Rob3662's Blacktoe clone

Postby rob3662 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:29 am

I have been working away on my new build over the last few weeks in my spare time, it is coming along nicely. I got the gantry moving tonight. I have been lacking in the picture department, mainly because it is the last thing on my mind while I am working. I will try to get some over the weekend, and I will attach what I have now at the end of the post.

The drive reduction seems to be working fine, it limits the speed to 342ipm with the current settings on LinuxCNC(I need to run a longer latency test to see if I can get any more speed out of it). I don't think my steppers would hold up to much more, they are spinning at 513rpm at this speed. It only takes a little push on the gantry to stall the motor. But at 120ipm I could not hold the gantry back(I am 190+ pounds).

I have to wait for parts to finish the rest off, 2 bearings for the other gear reduction and the ball screw for the Z axis. I will probably put the Z together with a piece of all thread from my book build just so I can get the gantry squared and cut the limit switch holders.

The only problem I have ran into so far was that the steel angle that I picked up for the rails does not have a consistent height. I am going to see if the bearings will even it out, but if not I will try a different supplier or switch to aluminum. My father had a piece left over that he got from a different supplier, I used it on the Z and it seems to be fine.

Pictures

Mock-up
IMG_0869 (800x598).jpg

Gluing the top(or bottom) gantry support
IMG_0874 (800x598).jpg

Z axis
IMG_0877 (800x598).jpg

Assembled gantry, carriage and Z
IMG_0880 (800x598).jpg

Back - My Z is a little longer then I needed it, I may cut it off a a later point.
IMG_0881 (800x598).jpg

Torsion Box/Stand - 2x4 webbing with 3/4" MDF top and bottom
IMG_0885 (800x598).jpg

Half of the space under the table will be closed in for the computer and other electronics since it is in a garage that is used mostly for metal work.

It may be a while before another update, tomorrow is my fiancee's birthday and I got called in for a short replacement for work so I won't have much time during the week to do any work on it.
Last edited by rob3662 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
rob3662

CNC Machine: "Book" Machine

Re: Rob3662's Blacktoe clone

Postby rob3662 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:06 am

I got out in the garage for a few hours today while my fiancee and the baby were gone to a birthday party. I got the rails broke in that the gantry ride on, I made up some gcode for the gantry to do 100 loops(200 passes) from end to end. I will have 51.25" of travel on that axis. I ran the code then tightened the bearings and repeated. I had to run it 6 times for there to be wear marks on rails over the entire travel. I am happy to say that it didn't miss a beat the entire time.

I also got under the table finished, I used some aspenite(osb) to do it since that is what I had on hand. If I get up to the garage tomorrow I am going to get the rest of my book build taken apart and move the new machine into the corner of the garage. I also mounted my router to the Z axis and put it on so I could take a measurement for travel, it is 30 inches across the gantry. It also looks like I will have around 5" of travel on the Z after I get the spoil board mounted, more if I move the router up in the mount a bit.

Some pictures:

Last edited by rob3662 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
rob3662

Postby ShenValleyCNC » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:05 am

That looks like a good sturdy build. Kinda funny, your book machine cuts you some nice parts so whatta ya do? Take it apart and throw it away. ;)
It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law
Hofstadter's Law
ShenValleyCNC

CNC Machine: Custom

Postby rob3662 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:02 pm

It is taken apart and in a pile for now, I used most of the bearings and cross dowels in this machine. I would have sold the book build if I could, but I wouldn't be able to get enough money for it. You are correct about the throwing away part(well burn), I don't have any room to store it. We have two other sheds that are full and the garage can only fit a single car in it. If I ever want to remake it then I can just pick up a sheet of MDF or plywood and cut all the parts again. I have pretty much every part created in cambam for a book build.

I could have just ordered the G540 and kept using my book build but I was just tired of the slow cut speed. It is only a hobby, but watching it cut at 20 ipm is torture. The only thing it did quick was dull my bits.

EDIT:
The book build was also done to see if I would enjoy this, and I do. I always knew that I would upgrade when I had some money available to do so.
rob3662

Postby rob3662 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:22 am

Just wanted to update. Like I said, I wouldn't have much time during the week. ButIi did get up for a bit during the week. I got the cabinet painted and sealed the edge of the top of the table. I also cleaned out the corner that my book build was in and got the new build moved into there. I am hoping to get the rest of the plywood sealed tomorrow and get the computer and g540 installed in the cabinet. I think I am going to install the monitor, keyboard and mouse on a flip up table or a drawer in the opening under the table.
rob3662

Postby rob3662 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:12 pm

I got up to the garage for a bit today, I didn`t get as much done as I wanted to because we had to spend a few hours cleaning. The garage flooded last Sunday so we had to clean all the mud off the floor and there was a mess there anyways. I got the table, gantry and belt ends(table clamps??) sealed with a coat of polyurethane. I am going to go back after supper and put on a second coat.

My ball screw and bearings arrived on Thursday so I should be able to get everything put together in the next few days.
Last edited by rob3662 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
rob3662

Postby rob3662 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:50 pm

Well I almost got everything together, I just got to mount the z-axis motor and install the two belts on the x-axis then I will almost be ready to start cutting. I still do not have the computer and G540 hooked up but that is not very much work. I also have to take down the shelves and probably move the light above the table. Hopefully the next set of pictures will have a clean corner.

Last edited by rob3662 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
rob3662

Postby Trotline » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:24 am

Coming along great! You're gonna love using the machine almost as much as building it, and for a lot longer. :)

Luke
"One man's ceiling is another man's floor". --Adrock

Luke Kilpatrick: Obsessive Tinker
Trotline

CNC Machine: Custom

Postby rob3662 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:35 pm

Trotline wrote:Coming along great! You're gonna love using the machine almost as much as building it, and for a lot longer. :)

Luke

Thanks, I can't wait to finish it off. I think I am taking tonight off but I went back at it last night for a few hours and got the belts put back on along with the Z motor. I also got all the motors wired up. Just got to mount the G540 and fire it up.

Here is the completed Z, the carriage and Z axis are not sealed because I am going to cut some new parts for those after I change a few things.

Last edited by rob3662 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
rob3662

Postby keith » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:10 pm

LOOKING GOOD ROB3662. I am eager to see it cutting!!!!
The Titanic was built by professionals; the Ark was built by Amateurs..........
keith

CNC Machine: BlackToe v2 4x8

Next

Return to DIY