Text Size

Rob3662's Blacktoe clone

Re: Rob3662's Blacktoe clone

Postby rob3662 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:38 am

Little update, I wanted to try to get some active cooling on my stepper motors so I downloaded a nema23 cooling duct from thingiverse and got it printed at work. I only did one so I could be sure that it would fit, and it was a bit too big. The opening for the stepper motor is 60mm and my steppers are 56.3mm. I made a spacer so I could use it. I have to rotate my motor so the fan will be up top because the carriage it hitting the fan housing when I home the machine. I am in the process of editing the part for the next few that I will print after Christmas break.

photo 8.JPG

photo 9.JPG

I also started at my dust shoe and piping, but I don't have any pictures of that. I need to pick up some more pipe and make a new top for my dust separator to accept the larger pipe.
rob3662

CNC Machine: "Book" Machine

Postby Awesomeness » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:48 am

That's pretty cool. I'm quite intrigued to know how well it works. Keep us posted.
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby rob3662 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:01 am

I should have some temperature results in the next week or so, one of my friends that has a temperature gun is out of town for Christmas so after he gets back I will run a test on it.

I was out at my dust collection for about a half hour tonight and got the piping done from the dust shoe to my small thien baffle. I used 2" tubing since I only have a small shopvac to run the system. A dust collector will probably be on my wish list for next year.

Here are a couple pictures of what I have done so far

photo 10.JPG

photo 11.JPG

I am hoping to finish it in the next few days and test it out. All I have left to do is finish mounting the tubing and make a short piece of tubing to go from the baffle to the shop vac. I think my next job after that is to clean up around the router and maybe paint the walls by the router.
rob3662

Postby rob3662 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:24 pm

No update on the cooling ducts yet, my friend with the temp gun got stuck in Labrador City due to the weather for a few days. But I did pick up a few feet of vinyl floor runner to finish off my dust shoe. Here is a little video, it it a little shakey and sometimes I point it away.

**Note - I still haven't cleaned up the garage.
rob3662

Postby rob3662 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:54 pm

I tried my dust shoe again today, I had to cut out a template for drilling dowel holes. I need to cut the fingers on the skirt a bit higher because at full depth it is almost touching the part with no slits in it.

rob3662

Postby joco » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:53 pm

A great read this thread. Such a pity all the pics from the earlier posts seem to have been purged. At least the videos are still in place.

Given I'm in NZ and the cost of shipping anything bulky down under STARTS at 25% the price of the item I'm in the middle of my own design process so I can fabricate locally. Plus it's just fun working through the CAD process (using FreeCAD). I am trying to decide on the thickness of plywood to model for. I think 3/4 inch seems to be common which in my world equates to 18mm for standard sheets as the closest equivalent. However looking at your build just based on what I have seen in the old videos and recent pics it seems like you are using something thicker? Circa 25 to 30mm? Or is it just a trick of perspective in the pics that makes it look so thick? Anything you are prepared to share re material specs would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
joco

CNC Machine: None

Postby rob3662 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:22 am

I used 3/4" plywood for mine, probably just the angle in the pictures that make it look thicker. Also, thanks for pointing out my pictures. I will work on getting them back up in the next few days. I was linking to facebook for my pictures and I guess they changed how the address on them (which has happened before).

Edit* I have around half of the pictures working in this thread again, the rest should be done tomorrow sometime.
rob3662

Postby Awesomeness » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:10 pm

rob3662 wrote:Edit* I have around half of the pictures working in this thread again, the rest should be done tomorrow sometime.

Remember that you can upload the pictures directly to the post, through the full editor, so they will be here and always work.
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby rob3662 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:20 pm

I have been doing that since you told me last month. I am currently just updating the links in the pictures so i know which ones they are then i will go back and upload the pictures and remove the links. It is a pain un the butt to do it twice but i have to resize all my pictures before i upload them.
rob3662

Postby joco » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:17 pm

Rob - Thanks very much for fixing the picture links. I have been reviewing them very closely.

On the plywood front, good to know its essentially 19mm. Do you know what strength rating the plywood is? F8? Higher? Given there seems to be ~11 plys I'm estimating the strength rating is probably pushing past F8.

I've been looking at some HDO formply (19 to 21mm thick) that is rated at F17 and I can also source an F22 version. Obviously the more resin in the mix and the thicker it is the more weight. Do you think these could be over kill given the balance we need to strike between strength and weight on the gantry?

Cheers.
joco

CNC Machine: None

PreviousNext

Return to DIY