Text Size

Rob3662's Blacktoe clone

Re: Rob3662's Blacktoe clone

Postby rob3662 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:01 am

I have no idea what the strength is. I have very limited selection where I live, I am lucky if I can get my hands on cabinet grade plywood when I need it.

You are correct about the number of plys.

Also, I don't know what you are planning on using for the drive system but I wouldn't recommend timing belts.
rob3662

CNC Machine: "Book" Machine

Postby joco » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:05 pm

Thanks for the response Rob. I understand re the acces to a choice of plywood. I'm having to investigate construction sources to get access to anything with more than 7 ply in it and a suitable strength rating. I have also found I can source 19 and 21mm plywood that way instead of onlythe 18mm that the retai style hardware stores sell. Interesingly the strength jump (from reading engineering tech sheets) between 19mm and 21mm is huge. Of course the weight jump is also rather big.

On the timing belt front wasn't planning on them. To be honest if it wasn't for the horrific international shipping I would probably just buy a kit. Having said that I having a ball desinging my machine in FreeCAD and even though I am drawing massively on the Blacktoe design as well as what I have seen others do (like yours) it still gives me a better sense of "mine" doing it this way.

So looking at your build the key differences I plan is to use #25 chain instead of timing belts. I also don't plan to have a gear reduction system on the gantry. I want to keep things a bit simpler like the Blacktoe in that area. I am considering if a chain system can also be used for the Z axis. But that is just a ponderting at the moment as space might make it too cumbersome. The default position is stil a lead screw.

cheers.
joco

CNC Machine: None

Postby rob3662 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:29 am

I haven't been doing much with my router in the last while, but I have been abusing it over the last few days making a muffler and other exhaust pieces for a CT70 that I picked up a few weeks ago. The pieces were cut from hot rolled steel, I don't know what type exactly. Here is a picture of the last two pieces after they were cut and the mess left over.

I broke a few bits in the process but they were all my own fault. The first was after I took a break and I must have bumped the gantry and moved it when the steppers were turned off. The second one was at the beginning of the second part, the plate wasn't completely flat it took too deep of a cut. The third bit lasted for three of the removed ovals, the two circles at the top and the pocket in the bottom part. I left the garage to go get supper while that one was cutting and noticed when I looked at my laptop after supper that I had a mistake. The depth of first cut on the two holes was set to -0.0675". When I got back to the garage I was surprised to see that the endmill actually survived cutting one of the holes and broke on the second one. So I put in my second last endmill and finished it off. Not too bad for a 1/8" endmill that is for wood.

Here is a little video, lost of noise and chatter but way better then doing it by hand.

0.005" DOC
15 IPM
8800RPM

Here is the insides of the muffler for anyone who is interested and one dividers.

rob3662

CNC Machine: "Book" Machine

Previous

Return to DIY