Text Size

CNC mini metal mill

CNC mini metal mill

Postby Awesomeness » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:48 pm

I never got around to posting pictures of this last year, when I completed it, but this is my CNC mini mill, based on a little Chinese manual mill from LittleMachineShop.com . I built an 80/20 enclosure around it, with 1/4" Lexan (polycarbonate) panels, for safety and to keep chips out of the garage. It all sits inside a 40"x30" polyethylene utility sled, meant for pulling animals you shot hunting behind a four wheeler. The electronics are using NEMA23 380 in*oz motors and a Gecko G540 driver. Coolest mod/upgrade so far is that I bought a few different sizes of LED ring lights, meant for decoration around car headlights (like these http://smile.amazon.com/uxcell®-80mm-Angle-Halo-Light/dp/B006W2EKHE/ ), and made them into an over-spindle light.

CNCMill1.jpg

CNCMill2.jpg

CNCMill3.jpg

CNCMill4.jpg

If anyone is looking to build something like this and wants more info, let me know.

Now I'm almost done with my CNC plasma cutter, and I will officially have the complete set of toys (router(s), mill, 3D printer, laser, plasma cutter).
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Re: CNC mini metal mill

Postby larry104 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:54 pm

Hi Awesomeness, can you post some more details on the mod?
larry104

CNC Machine: Custom

Postby Awesomeness » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:29 pm

larry104 wrote:Hi Awesomeness, can you post some more details on the mod?

Sure, what do you want to know? When you say "mod" are you talking about the ring light, or modding a manual mill to CNC?
Awesomeness

Postby larry104 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:19 pm

I mean modding a manual mill to CNC.
larry104

Postby Awesomeness » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:38 pm

Sure, it's fairly straight forward. I bought one of the "X2" style mini mills sold by LittleMachineShop.com , and a conversion kit from CNC Fusion ( http://www.cncfusion.com/minimill1.html ). I don't know if I'd really recommend CNC Fusion, because being as I'm a mechanical engineer I thought their design could have been much better thought out than it was... but ultimately they are one of the only kit makers around, so if you don't have access to a mill already, you have to start somewhere.

After that, the electronics are identical to what you would use for a CNC router table. Some NEMA23 motors, drivers, power supplies, Mach3/Mach4, a computer, etc.

I bought a big polyethylene "utility sled" (meant for pulling equipment and game animals behind a snowmobile or ATV), that was around 40"x30". I used 80/20 aluminum extrusion and 1/4" polycarbonate/Lexan panels to create the enclosure.
Awesomeness

Postby larry104 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:39 pm

Cool - thanks exactly what I wanted to know.
larry104

Return to DIY