Text Size

Replacing your old bob with your new bob is so confusing

Postby edoctoor » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:12 pm

Many ago I purchased this bob (break out board)
[url]
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2128[/url]

and I bought Gecko G203V driver cards and a five volt power supply

http://www.geckodrive.com/g203v.html

How on earth am I suppose to replace your old board with your new board?

Your new board has a USB and I can not see how to supply it with five volts?

Your new board does not have STEP, DIRECTION, AND ENABLE (YES, I do require Enable)

Please let me know what wires go where... this is too much for my old brain.....

If you can not figure it out in ten minutes than you can understand what you have done to my brain
; I think my brain is broke...

If you can figure it out, please let me know as my CNC is down until someone makes this crystal clear.

I am totally exhausted to say the least.

This is the new board,, no STEP, DIRECTION, ENABLE, AND GROUND... So what is up, please help.
If you have the right information and enough time; you too, can impress your dad.
edoctoor

CNC Machine: None

Re: Replacing your old bob with your new bob is so confusing

Postby airnocker » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:43 pm

After reviewing the new USB BOB, it looks like a bare bones controller and not documented very well for the novice. Their JPG images of the board and connections do not give a clear indication of where the external 5V supply is. The image clearly shows each axis has GND, DIR and STP in that order on the terminal strips.

I noticed it did say to use this BOB with the Planet CNC software. What's up with that? Are you using Planet CNC software?

The other BOB here, https://buildyourcnc.com/item/electroni ... rettyPhoto, has a parallel port and USB port. In this case the USB port supplies 5v from the computer to the board although they do not document this on their website unless it is in a video tutorial.

I'm kind of surprised and taken aback, that neither board seems to provide opto-isolation between the PC and the BOB outputs and inputs. If they do they no longer bother to mention it (which is bad form).

I'm surprised at Patrick.
airnocker

Everything depends on everything else
airnocker

CNC Machine: Custom

Postby edoctoor » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:51 pm

I did not NOTICE the following:
(1) I noticed it did say to use this BOB with the Planet CNC software. What's up with that? Are you using Planet CNC software?

My Reply> I use ONLY MACH 3 bought and paid for; so I have no use for Plant CNC software or anything that isn't compatible with
MACH 3. However, the instructions state:

This tutorial will show you how to interface your Spindle Controller with Mach 3. This will turn the spindle on or off when Mach 3 gets a M3 or M5 command. In order to complete this setup you will need the following: a spindle, VFD spindle controller, parallel breakout board with relay, computer with parallel port and Mach 3.

That is a lot of mention of MACH 3... so that implies that it a Mach 3 compatable BOB; doesn't it?

Confused.................ummm

(2) you stated "opto-isolation between the PC and the BOB outputs and inputs."

My Reply> That is the main function of a BOB; I would really feel ripped off if the board didn't have
opto-isolation.

(3) you stated "The image clearly shows each axis has GND, DIR and STP in that order on the terminal strips.
"

On my BOB there are only numbers on the terminal strips, and 5V... nothing could be more confusing.

I am surprised as well... this doesn't seem to be the work of buildyourcnc and not what
I expected... so my machine is down and as you can see NO RESPONSE

And I also bought a powersupply, which was broken and they said that I can mail it back for a
full refund. The shipping cost more than the powersupply... so that was another shock.
So obvious that also my loss that I'll just have to deal with.

I think that all overseas shipping should be tested first, and the documentation should be clear.

Regretablely, I can not afford to shop here any longer... as I do not have the income nor the ability to
figure out the mess that they have left me... and the people answering the phones try their best but
I had to hang up because they were just as confused as I was... so, it will be another year before I can
afford a power supply and bob... so my CNC can just gather dust until then.. thanks a lot Buildyourcnc
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH
If you have the right information and enough time; you too, can impress your dad.
edoctoor

Postby airnocker » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:58 pm

Can you send me the web link of the BOB you bought to make sure we are discussing the same one?
airnocker

airnocker

Postby edoctoor » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:17 am

Attachments
BlueBrew.jpg
BlueBrew Breakout Board with Relay Assembled
edoctoor

Postby edoctoor » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:26 am

I upgraded the buildyourcnc drivers to gecko drivers (opto-isolation)

So this is what I want to wire up to the bob.
[url]
http://www.geckodrive.com/g203v.html[/url]
Attachments
Gecko g203v.gif
edoctoor

Postby airnocker » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:04 am

Thanks edoctor, your new BOB gets its signals to control your CNC machine from the parallel port. The USB port does nothing more than provide the 5V and computer Ground needed for the BOB from the computer's USB connection.

Now post the make/model of your stepper motors so we know what drive currents they require. This is needed to determine the current sense resistor value for the Gecko drivers. If all three steppers are the same then the resistor values will also be the same for all three Gecko drivers. I have to admit the instructions on the website suck big time for how to wire-up the BOB.

So in the new BOB, instead of opto-isolating the output/input terminals of the BOB that connect to equipment on the CNC machine, the Gecko drivers are providing the opto-isolation for drive inputs from the BOB. I haven't confirmed how inputs into the BOB are opto-isolated from the machines zero touch plate (if you have or use one), the limit switches or E-Stop switch, and spindle control.

Ok, your old BOB and the new BOB have equivalent terminals although in different places and with slightly different names. You must have gotten a very early version of the new BOB since its terminals are not labeled, but fortunately Patrick posted a JPG diagram you can use to identify the terminal functions. Your new BOB gets +5V from the USB cable plugged between your computer's USB port and your BOB's USB. The only purpose for this connector on the BOB is to get 5V from your computer. This 5V source from the computer via the USB cable is then connected to each terminal on the BOB that is labeled 5V. This should answer your question for how you connect 5V to the BOB.
breakout_wiring.jpg
New BOB

His description for connections reads as follows and the pin numbers refer to the parallel port pin numbers:
parallel_port_pinout.jpg
Parallel Port Pins

These pin numbers are those typically assigned in Mach3 for the XYZ axis.
The typical connection that is made with this breakout board is as follows: (CP=Step, CW=Direction)
Pin 2 terminal is wired to the X-axis driver CP- terminal
Pin 3 terminal is wired to the X-axis driver CW- terminal
5V terminal is wired to the X-axis CP+ and CW+
Pin 4 terminal is wired to the Y-axis driver CP- terminal
Pin 5 terminal is wired to the Y-axis driver CP- terminal
5V terminal is wired to the Y-axis CP+ and CW+
Pin 6 terminal is wired to the Z-axis driver CP- terminal
Pin 7 terminal is wired to the Z-axis driver CP- terminal
5V terminal is wired to the Z-axis CP+ and CW+

The extra output terminals can be used for other axes or to control devices, like routers and spindles.

In Mach3 or other control software, the low active should be enabled for the step. This is not necessary for the direction unless the axes is moving in the wrong direction.

Enter the numbers associated with the pin numbers above in Mach3 (config -> ports and pins -> motor outputs) or other control software.

Now here is a diagram of the Gecko driver terminals:
Gecko general_drive_dimensions.jpg
Gecko Driver Terminals

Each control axis on the BOB for the steppers have three terminals and are labeled:
X-axis CP- (this is the Step signal, the minus sign means a low voltage is the active signal)
x-axis CW- (this is the Direction Signal)
x-axis CP+ and CW+ (this is the 5V return for the active low step and direction signals for one side of each stepper motor coil)

This new BOB can control up to 5 axis, X,Y,Z,A and B. If you only need three stepper motor axis you can you the other outpus (a-axis CP-, CW- and b-axis CP- and CW- for other output functions like the Enable line you need.

Fill in more information about your machine and we can delve into it deeper.

Does this help?
airnocker

airnocker

Postby edoctoor » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:24 pm

To add to my confusion....

After visiting
http://www.geckodrive.com/g203v-rev-7

================================================
G203V TERMINAL WIRING

The G203V uses a 2-piece modular main connector. The connector is split in two pieces; terminals 1 through 6 (power supply and motor leads) and terminals 7 through 12 (control interface). Each can be removed separately by pulling the connector body upwards and off of the mating header pins on the G203V. The connectors must initially be removed to mount the G203V to a heatsink or chassis.

TERMINAL 1 Power Ground
Connect the negative (black) lead of your power supply to this terminal.

TERMINAL 2 Power (+)
Connect the positive (red) lead of your power supply to this terminal. It must be between +18VDC to +80VDC.

TERMINAL 3 Motor Phase A
Connect one end of your “Phase A” motor winding here.

TERMINAL 4 Motor Phase /A
Connect the other end of your “Phase A” motor winding here.

TERMINAL 5 Motor Phase B
Connect one end of your “Phase B” motor winding here.

TERMINAL 6 Motor Phase /B
Connect the other end of your “Phase B” motor winding here.

TERMINAL 7 Disable
This terminal will force the winding currents to zero when tied to the step and direction controller +5V.

TERMINAL 8 Direction
Connect the DIRECTION signal to this terminal.

TERMINAL 9 Step
Connect the STEP signal to this terminal.

TERMINAL 10 Common
Connect the controller’s GROUND to this terminal.

TERMINAL 11 Current Set
Connect one end of your current set resistor to this terminal.

TERMINAL 12 Current Set
Connect the other end of your current set resistor to this terminal.
================================================

This means the TERMINAL 10 COMMON really is COMMON a Ground.... not a five volts....

and it also states:

The G203V is also available in a G203V-CW/CCW version. This means that rather than taking a step and direction input it takes a CW and CCW input on the step and direction terminals. This is only necessary if your machine outputs CW/CCW signals as opposed to step and direction.

=================================================

A comment about your last post, yes, the old orginal BOB that I bought from buildyourcnc
was step and direction; however, it lost direction for all 2 axis the second
that I used a touch probe.

I have purchased http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html and it is my
hopes to have success with Ger 2010 screenset... it is the best thing since sliced bread
as far as I am concerned... however, I doubt that I'll ever get this thing up and running.
edoctoor

Return to DIY