Text Size

Single Speed Router

Single Speed Router

Postby bigred8080 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:19 am

So now that i have made time to get back at working on my book build that i have been tinkering with on and off for the last 4 years, I am finally able to cut some stuff. Back when i first got everything going i purchased a porter cable 690LR (single speed). i now realize it was probably a mistake not getting a variable speed one. The few things i have cut in the past I have done nothing but burn up bits after running for an hour or so. Most recently i was cutting some router mount pieces and on some of the smaller diameter hole mounts, the wood would begin to smoke. The label on the router says it runs at 27,500 RPM. I had the machine running at 10 IPM. The reason i have the IPM so low is because the last time i got impatient and bumped it up to like 30 and it turned in to a train wreck for the most part. part of the problem could have been that i was running a 1/2 end mill...idk.

So, what im asking is, are there any suggestions as to how i can avoid my problem and still make decent cuts? I am saving for a spindle/vfd combo so id rather not waste money on a super PID.

I plan on doing some detailed work in the next week or so (Celtic weave on for a cross) using both a 1/4" and 1/8" ball nose. any suggestions there to avoid tear out?

thanks
BR
bigred8080

CNC Machine: "Book" Machine

Re: Single Speed Router

Postby Awesomeness » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:56 am

It's all about chip load, or the size of the chip being removed by each flute of the bit. So you actually have a few variables to tinker with, one of which being the feedrate, as you mentioned. You can also move to a bit with less flutes.

As for burning up the bits, if you're using high speed steel (HSS) bits, try switching to carbide bits instead. HSS relies on the steel's temper to remain sharp, so when it gets hot it gets dull fast, and the problem gets worse. Carbide bits are naturally super hard, so the heat doesn't directly impact the sharpness in the same way.

You should be able to get well over 30 ipm.
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby bigred8080 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:03 am

I should have noted I'm running 1/2 all thread 13 tpi...so that limiting also. I got my router mount installed tonight. Not perfect but better than I had I think. I plan on tinkering with it all next weekend. I'll try ticking up the feed rate and see if that will help.
bigred8080

CNC Machine: "Book" Machine

Postby Awesomeness » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:54 am

My book build ran at 50 ipm fine. If you bought decent drive electronics, yours should be able to do the same. If you bought "the cheapest kit eBay had", that may be a different story.
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Return to DIY