Text Size

Super PID

Super PID

Postby Huzzah » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:27 pm

Any thoughts on this? http://www.vhipe.com/product-private/SuperPID.htm

Is it worth the money? I do plan on cutting plastic and acrylic quite often.

My router is a Bosch Colt variable speed but the speed range is 16k-35k.
Huzzah

Re: Super PID

Postby skfisher » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:54 pm

Huzzah

I have read about this. I have a Bosch Colt on my BlueChick. I think the lowest rpm is actually close to 10k. I have cut some plastics (extruded) with it and had good results. I bought a bit specifically for plastics.

Stephen
skfisher

CNC Machine: BlueChick

Postby airnocker » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:49 am

One thing to watch out for is that most external router speed controllers do NOT work on routers with built in speed controls since it ain't cool to have one speed controller controlling another speed controller. A speed controller for a universal motor expects a reasonably pure sine wave on the input power.

(I've corrected this post on 3/28/11 having not seen my bad typing mistake until now.)
Last edited by airnocker on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
airnocker

Everything depends on everything else
airnocker

CNC Machine: Custom

Postby michaelthomas » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:17 am

There is quite a bit of info on cnczone about it. They even have some links about how to modify a large PC (3 1/4 HP) router to remove its internal variable speed components and a way of mounting the optical sensor inside the router body.

The advantage of this thing is it makes significant power increases in the lower range....which would be very helpful.

I dont know the links....but I found them last week by just googling super pid.

I'm gonna give it a go on my next router build.

A local friend of mine is ordering one.....I'll report about his experience when I find something out.
michaelthomas

CNC Machine: RedFrog

Postby Huzzah » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:24 am

skfisher - I confirmed the speed range of the Colt is 16k-35k (according to Bosch) but what matters to me is that you have had success with the router.

I am concerned that my router is variable speed and from what I can tell there is not detent in the dial that would indicate it's bypassing the internal speed controller. I think I'll e-mail the creator of the Super PID and see if he could do a tutorial for bypassing the speed controller on the Colt, it is a very popular router for the home builders after all.

michaelthomas - Please do report back any first had experience you can.

Thanks for all of the input.

Steve
Huzzah

Postby airnocker » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:50 am

WOW, Michael, that's great news. I'd love to PID my PC and have thought about gutting the speed controller and wiring it straight to use a PID. I'm checking on CNCZone now.
airnocker

airnocker

Postby airnocker » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:02 am

Here is the CNCZone link Michael probably referenced: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc_router_table_machines/112658-super-pid_new_low-cost_router_speed_controller.html

But here is a noteworthy quote from the designer of SuperPID.
In the early testing I removed my router cover and checked, its electronic speed control has a switch pot, so it varies up to full, then the switch goes "click". At that point the switch bypasses the electronic speed control so there is no problem. That is probably a common setup. Also, I actually did some cutting with the router's internal speed control on, and that seemed to make no difference to the operation of the PID unit, they did not interfere.

All in all I would recommend turning the routers internal speed control off, or bypassing it, but I do plan to do more tests. Thanks for reminding me.

I noticed my PC Model 890 speed dial doesn't go click at the highest speed setting, so I'll probably have to take the thing apart to be safe.
airnocker

airnocker

Postby airnocker » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:22 am

Couldn't resist and none of you were here to hold me back - BOUGHT ONE! Impressive YouTube video, too.
airnocker

airnocker

Postby jeff » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:05 am

I have a PC 890 also. Please keep us posted when yours arives and how it works?

Jeff
jeff

CNC Machine: RedFrog

Postby airnocker » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:24 am

You bet I will Jeff.
airnocker

airnocker

Next

Return to Motion Electronics