Text Size

Super PID

Re: Super PID

Postby joelaw » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:04 pm

Super PID.pdf
(14 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
tbadger,

Here are the Super PID schematics and screen shots of my system. This setup is working for me. I wish that my USB SmoothStepper board and Mach3 were doing as well.

Joe L.
Attachments
Config Spindle Pulley.png
Config Spindle Pulley.png (7.03 KiB) Viewed 4091 times
Motor Tuning Spindle.png
Output Signals.png
joelaw

CNC Machine: BlackToe v4 2x4

Postby phill fenton » Thu May 01, 2014 11:37 am

tbadger wrote:Phil, how are you toggling the spindle on and off - did you use a relay to do that?

Sorry for the delay in answering (just spotted this today). I never used a relay - the superpid itself controls the current supply to the router. However, if the superpid itself is not powered up there is nothing to prevent the router from running as the default is "on" (i.e the superpid has to be "live" to prevent the current going to the router). I have noticed this a few times when I have forgotten to power up the superpid and considered the safety aspect of the possibility of the router suddenly starting up should the superpid fail. But perhaps I haven't configured mine correctly?
phill fenton

CNC Machine: "Book" Machine

Postby tbadger » Sun May 04, 2014 2:06 am

Thanks all for your responses. I finally figured out my issue today. First I had miss-wired the switch, second the rev10 board has the pin outs in a slightly different order than the doc I have for it. Instead of 16 com 17, it is com 16 17. I trusted the doc rather than what was printed on the board. Having fixed those issues, the router turned on even when I started up Mach3! I resolved that by enabling the low setting on output 1 for pin 16 that I was using for spindle start/stop. For now I'm happy to simply have Mach3 stop and start the motor. Later I'll consider having it control spindle speed. Next step is to actually try it with a project.
tbadger

CNC Machine: Other

Postby MyHD120 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:31 pm

phill fenton wrote:My BOB is the in house developement BOB from buildyourcnc.com shown here

It is powered by a usb cable from my PC (a seperate usb cable from the same PC has been used to provide power to the superpid).

Pins 2-7 have been used to control the XY and Z motors so I had elected to use pins 8 and 9 to control the spindle, but I also tried using pins 14 and 16 instead with the same result.

Here's a clue though - The current situation is that the spindle idles at 5000rpm when it should be switched "off" and switches itself off when toggled on!
Likewise when mach 3 is shut down the spindle continues to idle at 5000rpm? (or if switched off (as a result of being toggled on) switches itself on when Mach3 is shut down

Phil, I sent you a PM about this BOB. I have the same setup. Did you ever get this worked out? Can you provide me with a diagram of how you wired your SPID? Even the switches, please? Thanks, Gary
MyHD120

Postby phill fenton » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:08 pm

Hi Gary

I am writing this from home - my machine is at my workshop at a separate location where I run my business from. The wiring is pretty straight forward - I had it right all along but miss-understood the fact that you need to instruct the spindle speed to run at whatever RPM you choose - in mach 3 the instruction is something like S10000 (for a spindle speed of say 10,000 rpm) I had neglected to enter this instruction hence the reason why I was having problems. This is explained here:-

http://buildyourtools.com/forums/index. ... c&start=80

I will need to go into work to look at how the Bob is wired - I can do this for you but it will be in a few days time as I am currently off work for the new year break.

Have a happy new year
phill fenton

Postby MyHD120 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:04 pm

Phil, Thank you for the reply. Yes, I had read all that. It's the wiring part that stumps me. I'm so bad at electrical that I'm confused about the black wire being line voltage and just found out that the smaller hole in the receptacle is line voltage out to the router. I'm afraid to plug the damn thing in for fear that I got the wires in the wrong place and smoke the thing.

I will wait for you to send me the wiring diagram. Please be very clear on which is line (hot) and neutral (common)and how you wired the switches. I know I'm asking a lot but I will be forever grateful.

And, by the way, you do some very nice work especially since you are using the hand built machine. I've followed some of the adjustments you've done and added the adjustable BRA's. What a life saver.
Regards,
Gary
MyHD120

Postby MyHD120 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:08 pm

And, Phil, I mean how you wired your SuperPID, not just the 2 wires from the BOB.
Regards,
Gary
MyHD120

Postby phill fenton » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:09 pm

OK - here's a picture showing the wiring on my superpid.

Working from bottom left to top right, the wiring is as follows:-

Black Cable - This should already be connected and is the wiring to the sensor that detects the revolutions of the spindle - the red wire is attached to the connection marked "SL", the white to "SO" and the silver to "P? (the second digit is illegible)"

1st yellow/green wire (leftmost) - wired to "PWM" - the other end of this cable goes to connection 16 on the bob.

2nd and 3rd yellow/green wire bridges the connections "US" and "PO" - (these connections are used to connect up the manual rotary pot to control the router speed if not using mach 3 to control the spibdle speed)

Bottom Right - black wire from usb cable goes to"GND" (the other end of this cable plugs into a usb port on my pc to provide 5v power to the superpid

Bottom right yellow/green wire is connected to "RUN" the opposite end of this wire connects to 14 on the bob

Red wire middle right - this is the red wire from the USB cable that connects to "+5V" providing the live feed from the USB cable attached to my PC

Brown wire - 4th from top right - connects to "A" and is a live feed from a 240V power supply

Blue wire - 3rd from top right - Connect to "N" and is the neutral cable coming from the 240V supply

Blue wire - 2nd from top right - Conncts to "MN" and is the neutral feed out from the superpid to the spindle

Brown wire top right - Connects to "MA" and is the live feed from the superpid to the spindle

Finally - note that the yellow/green (earth wires) from the 240V in and 240V out are connected together for a common earth

In Mach 3 - Ports and pins configuration settings relevant to the superpid are fro ports 14 and 16 and are shown below

phill fenton

Postby MyHD120 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:32 pm

Phill,

:geek: Thank you so very, very, very much. I will decipher this and have it tried by tomorrow and let you know how I made out or if I have further questions. :D
MyHD120

Postby MyHD120 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:34 pm

Phill,
Your wiring diagram and photos helped. I got it running. At first I was getting a "Startup Failed" message and it continued in a loop. Start, fail, start, etc.. Research showed that my sensor wasn't close enough so I made the adjustment. My problem now is that the router ramps up to full speed and stays there. Kind of like what you had except I wasn't typing an "S" command in. It ramps up right after the SPID boots up! Goes directly to top speed of 30,000 rpms. Can you help?
Regards,
Gary :(
MyHD120

PreviousNext

Return to Motion Electronics