Text Size

x axis going the same way

x axis going the same way

Postby bigred8080 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:57 pm

For some reason my x axis will only move in one direction. I can't say that I've adjusted any of the settings in Mach and from what I can tell everything seems to be wired up the same. I know the motors are wired correctly as I can change from motor to motor and still have the same problem with the same driver. I've traced and retraced and can'tfind anything wrong...

Any ideas? I'm ready to adjust setting in Mach to force it to work...just need to know what to change.

thanks
bigred8080

CNC Machine: "Book" Machine

Re: x axis going the same way

Postby Awesomeness » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:11 am

Taking a lesson from Krughouse's recent escapades, I'd take the wires off that motor's drive circuit, and put them back on again. You probably have something wrong with the direction pin's connection to the driver. You could also switch the motor to another driver, and see if the problem follows the driver or motor or something else.
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby bigred8080 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:30 am

I don't think it has anything to do with the motor as I can switch it to another driver and it works fine, while the one I switched doesn't. I switched the driver on the motor and bob and I think I confused myself and forgot what I switched where because that time one worked correctly and the other didn't work at all. I'll do it again and see what I come up with, maybe draw up a diagram of how it's wired.

Thanks
bigred8080

Postby Awesomeness » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:37 am

If nothing is broken and in need of replacement, the most logical place to look is the communications path between the computer and that driver, since drivers have a direction pulse and pin it's probably in there.
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
Awesomeness

CNC Machine: BlackFoot v4 4x8

Postby bigred8080 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:53 am

well, after trying a few different things I got no where...a step back as a matter a fact. now only my Z axis works. Y axis works only in one direction (it only moves to the left no matter which key is pressed) X now does nothing motor wise, in Mach it thinks it is moving. attached is how I have all the drivers and motors wired. I checked and double checked, they are all done this way. I checked the termination points on the drivers and everything is tight. I check the soldiers on the plugs and everything is correct and solid. Unfortunately I do not have a multi meter handy to check any voltages....if I cant find mine tomorrow, I might have to buy one.

All of my electronics are stuffed into my PC case as of now. I should also mention that before I put them in there, they were just sitting on the table next to the PC and everything worked. Could interence with something in the case be causing me some issues? I think im going to take everything out tomorrow and see what happens.

until then, anyone have any ideas?

thanks
Attachments
Wiring.jpg
bigred8080

Postby ShenValleyCNC » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:40 am

How are things mounted? Is there something that could be touching that is causing something to ground out?
It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law
Hofstadter's Law
ShenValleyCNC

CNC Machine: Custom

Postby bigred8080 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:52 am

that is a possibility as everything is mounted directly to the computer case itself. it was a busy/unproductive weekend, I hope to get everything out and temp mounted to piece of mdf I have laying around. Ill post an update with my results.

Thanks

BR
bigred8080

Postby Blqbrd1 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:29 pm

I know it has been a while, but what ended up working out? I am having the same problem and not sure how to fix it. Any advice you can give would be great.
Blqbrd1

CNC Machine: Other

Postby kevinl » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:16 pm

one advise might be to check how the driver is to be wired, some drivers require 5 volt on the 'COM' line and not 'GND'. which might cause intermitting problems and only show up when BOB and wiring harness are compacted in control boxes to pick up more electrical noise.
kevinl

CNC Machine: Custom

Postby bigred8080 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:35 pm

Well, while trying to get the driver out of the computer box, one of screws must have landed just right and shorted the computer out. In the process of getting a replacement. I have the driver mounted to a piece of wood and can't wait to give it another go
bigred8080

Next

Return to Motion Electronics