Text Size

Speed Controller Wiring

Speed Controller Wiring

Postby GtotheRoll » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:31 pm

I'm needing help wiring my motor and power cable to this speed controller. I have the wiring diagram of the speed controller attached, but I can't make sense of it. Any help at all would be new information to me and very helpful.
Could you please fill in the correct connections below?

Possible answers: +F, AC1, AC2, -F, -A, +A, Gnd

Motor black wire goes to:
Motor white wire goes to:
Motor green wire goes to:

Power cable black wire goes to:
Power cable white wire goes to:
Power cable green wire goes to:
Attachments
speed controller.jpg
motor wiring diagram.JPG
overview.JPG
Screen Shot 2014-12-19 at 2.14.47 PM.png
GtotheRoll

CNC Machine: Custom

Re: Speed Controller Wiring

Postby ShenValleyCNC » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:33 am

Motor black wire goes to: A+
Motor white wire goes to: A-
Motor green wire goes to: Plug wire green

Power cable black wire goes to: AC1
Power cable white wire goes to: AC2
Power cable green wire goes to: Gnd and green wire from motor.

Make sure you plug into a grounded outlet. If not, you need to run the Gnd and green wire from the motor to a ground. If the motor runs in the wrong direction, swap AC2 and AC1. Make sure you have the proper fuse installed. If something goes wrong, the fuse will keep you from frying the controller.
It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law
Hofstadter's Law
ShenValleyCNC

Postby GtotheRoll » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:37 pm

Thanks so much Shen!
What do you mean by "Plug wire green" though?
Also, how can I run the green wire from the power cable, to both the Gnd and green wire from the motor?
I'm probably frustrating you to know end with these questions, but I'm really trying to understand. This is all new to me.
I appreciate the time you've already invested in helping me.
GtotheRoll

Postby ShenValleyCNC » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:35 am

The plug is three prong, two flat lugs and 1 round one. The round one is ground, and on your stripped end you have a green wire. To hook them all up you make a Y out of wire. Take two pieces of wire of the same guage(green if possible) and then wrap their ends with the green wire from the plug and solder. On one end crimp a slide-on wire connector that will fit the ground lug on the controller. Solder the other end of the Y to the green wire from the motor. Wrap the connections with electrical tape.

You could also go the hardware store and buy a junction block to hook the wires together without solder.

simple_diagram.png
It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law
Hofstadter's Law
ShenValleyCNC

Postby GtotheRoll » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:53 pm

Are you kidding me!? You made a diagram?! You're the best! I'd like to compensate you for taking the time to help me. I appreciate it more than you know. Check your email.
GtotheRoll

Postby GtotheRoll » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:22 pm

I have yet another question. I just noticed that my power cord and motor cord are 2 different gauges. The power cord is 18awg and the motor cord is 16awg. Is that going to be a problem? You mentioned that I need to take two wires of the same gauge (green if possible) to make the "y" connection. Should that green wiring be 16awg or 18awg? Hopefully this will be my last question!
GtotheRoll

Return to Motion Electronics