Text Size

Wiring diagram (NEW DIAGRAM ADDED 12-20-16)

Wiring diagram (NEW DIAGRAM ADDED 12-20-16)

Postby dwm2k1 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:05 am

New to the CNC hobby and custom building a router. I bought the 3 Axis Electronics Combo w/ Parallel Breakout Board kit from BuildYourCNC.

KIT
https://buildyourcnc.com/item/electronicsAndMotors-3axis-425-elcombo

Motor Diagram
https://buildyourcnc.com/Documents/PN.SM60HT86-2008BF-U%20(inhouse%20PN.60BYGH303-13)%20(1).pdf

Parallel Breakout Board
https://buildyourcnc.com/Item/electronicsAndMotors-parallel-breakout-relay

Using MACH3 software.

I have tried to find a complete wiring diagram for this particular kit and only found old information that was not complete.

I sat down and drew a complete diagram after scouring the internet for information.

Could someone take a look and find anything wrong the connections? The motors are wired Bipolar Parallel.

Thanks

ImageROUTER WIRNG DIAGRAM
Last edited by dwm2k1 on Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 7 times in total.
dwm2k1

CNC Machine: Custom

Re: Wiring diagram evaluation

Postby ShenValleyCNC » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:51 pm

Pretty good job. I note that you copied the Xmotor symbol to Ymotor but did not change the label.

For clarity, the diagram should use a different symbol for all the contact switches.

The limit switches are wired in series and should be labeled NC for normally closed circuit wiring. (hitting a limit switch opens or breaks the circuit).

The home switches are wired in parallel fashion and should be marked NO normally open. Hitting the switch closes the circuit and signals the machine is at the axis home.

Hope that helps.
It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law
Hofstadter's Law
ShenValleyCNC

Re: Wiring diagram evaluation (REVISED DIAGRAM 11-03-2015)

Postby dwm2k1 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:50 am

REVISED DIAGRAM 11-03-2015
dwm2k1

Postby mza1979m » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:49 pm

I'm still trying to figure out how to wire my limit switches to my USB BREAKOUT BOARD. I'm just wondering, is there a reason you have the HOME limit switches set to NO and the remaining ones set to NC? Or can we have all 6 switches set to either NO or NC?
mza1979m

Postby kevinl » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:52 pm

either NO or NC is determined by the wiring path you intend to use.. NO is typical used with a parallel wired switch configuration so that if any one switch closed then the breakout board would see the change.. just the opposite from a NC and a series configuration, any one switch opens and the breakout board see the change... don't know which software you using but MACH3 allows the home & limit to be the same switch, if need to save BOB input pins..
kevinl

Re: Wiring diagram (NEW DIAGRAM ADDED 12-26-16)

Postby dwm2k1 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:03 pm

Sorry for the delay in posting this new diagram.

I had to change my wiring to isolate nuisance E-stop trips with the limit trips.

The new diagram has the E-stop wired by its self and then combining the home and limit for each of the X, Y and Z axis.

This rewiring has eliminated the nuisance tripping and the machine now runs smoothly without stopping in the middle of a job.

The only other problem was a bad limit switch which was replaced.

This setup has run flawlessly since the change.

I hope this diagram will help others building their own machines.

Last edited by dwm2k1 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
dwm2k1

Re: Wiring diagram (NEW DIAGRAM ADDED 12-20-16)

Postby kevinl » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:59 pm

check your limit & home switch wiring and/or diagram chart.. either you use them in the normally close position for series (as the wiring is drawn) or for parallel the switches would need to be normally open.. I feel you will have nuisance trips when in the series/NC configuration but it checks the wiring loop on every power up that the parallel configuration will not do.. the day when the limit switch is by-passed and a hard stop is encounter by end of travel.

I encounter nuisance trips on my Z axis quite often and wish I had a cheap cure. I've adjusted the debounce some, but not sure where there's got to be a number too high that effects other parts or working of Mach3..
kevinl

Postby dwm2k1 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:16 am

kevinl wrote:check your limit & home switch wiring and/or diagram chart.. either you use them in the normally close position for series (as the wiring is drawn) or for parallel the switches would need to be normally open.. I feel you will have nuisance trips when in the series/NC configuration but it checks the wiring loop on every power up that the parallel configuration will not do.. the day when the limit switch is by-passed and a hard stop is encounter by end of travel.

I encounter nuisance trips on my Z axis quite often and wish I had a cheap cure. I've adjusted the debounce some, but not sure where there's got to be a number too high that effects other parts or working of Mach3..

Sorry about the diagram which was an old JPG I didn't overwrite with the corrected one. I have uploaded the correct one with the series limit switches shown as NC.

I wired my motors with shielded alarm wire and the limit switches with speaker wire. I grounded the shield only at one end of the cable to prevent a grounding loop signal. My machine can cut 24" x 36" x 6".

It took me a while to figure out that one limit switch was tripping for no good reason. I disconnected each axis switches and ran a program without any tool running. Once I found which axis was tripping, I disconnected one switch at a time until I found the bad switch. I took the bad switch apart to see what could be wrong, but found nothing. The router has been cutting aluminum and wood projects without any tripping once. I tried the debounce without any effect on the tripping.
dwm2k1

Postby Dombrosky » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:38 pm

dwm2k1 wrote:Sorry about the diagram which was an old JPG I didn't overwrite with the corrected one. I have uploaded the correct one with the series limit switches shown as NC.

Thanks for uploading. Just what I needed.
Dombrosky

CNC Machine: WhiteAnt

Return to Motion Electronics